Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Interesting Big Game Ranch?

519.4 Acres? that's not even a section. To me that would feel like it was bring your rifle to the zoo day.

This made me laugh a lot harder than it should have. Guess I missed it in the Zoo advertisements.

I know some may differ in their opinions, but it sounds like fun to me! The ranch may be smaller than most ranches in Texas, but it's about the same price and a LOT closer! I will go!

I did one of those kinda "hunts" on the big horn canyon ranch in Cali many years ago. It was fun! The comparison to hunting, I would say is like comparing a day a the batting cages to an actual baseball game. It's definitely not the same as chasing wild animals on public land, but it's still fun and the meat was really good too.

• Like 2

I actually looked into that ranch in Cali several years ago as my former brother-in-law was extremely interested in hunting, but lacked pretty much every skill needed to hunt, except he could shoot decent. I think an operation such as this would be perfect for such a situation, as well as younger kids who can not yet hunt big game, or folks who moved here after the draw but don't want to miss out on hunting that year, etc.

As for the guys operating it, I have no clue who they are, but I do wish good fortune upon anyone starting their own business.

• Like 1

I know some may differ in their opinions, but it sounds like fun to me! The ranch may be smaller than most ranches in Texas, but it's about the same price and a LOT closer! I will go!

Dude Im with Adam. I think it would be fun to give your 8-9 year old a bow and do a bow hunt with them and both stick a pig. You got meat, a little experience for young people (or never hunted) to give them an adda boy feeling.

• Like 1

great place to learn game care, give someone a chance to get their feet wet before public land hunting, squeezing the trigger is the easy part, then the work begins

I taught Hunter Ed for about 13 years, lot of parents came in with their kids where the kid wanted to hunt but the parent had no clue what to do beyond the shooting, had quite a few single mothers and sons, this would be good for them to learn the ropes

not everyone grew up with the hunting tradition passed down through the generations

• Like 2

Dunton Ranch up by kingman offers this same hunt. I did it last year. Great guide up there and offers the same kinda game. He is same price pretty much. I killed a nice Corsican ram with him. I'd go to dunton before that place. My money won't go there.

I love it, RAZORBACKS, hahaha!

I (ignorantly) had a moral opposition to these types of operations till I hosted a group at an exotics ranch in TX. Its fun, doesn't require much luck or terribly hard work, and you get to take home some meat. That's the beginning and end of the story with high-fence operations no matter the size. Ain't nobody going to impress me more saying they shot an elk in a 10K acre high fence or a goat in a 50acre fence, apples to apples IMO.

Good luck to them!

Take these operations for what they are. I had a friend who ran a similar place in New Mexico. Shot a corsican ram with a recurve. It is not "hunting" but is cheap, can be fun and can put some meat in the freezer. Decent places to break the monotony of the offseason lull.

• Like 1

I wish them success but one thing to consider is accurate information on the huntable area and quality of animals etc.

from my quick parcel search to above posting --the area within the fenced acreage has .70 of the little Colorado river on their parcel approx.

huntable zones are limited to a couple ravens and the river .

now the land to the west belongs to the state of Arizona and the land to the south is usda forest if u included the river in those 2 areas then approx. 2.1 miles

Now I do agree with the opportunity to get a first timer or youth involved with hunting within our state at ? rates- this can be a good experience

not super hard to hunt and hopefully good opportunity - if they are not harvesting on a hunt - well you know

Good Luck guys

Big horn canyon ranch is 2000 acres, Shack shot 23 animals in a day, fun hunts to start kids off or practice for archery

Big horn canyon ranch is 2000 acres, Shack shot 23 animals in a day, fun hunts to start kids off or practice for archery

I remember seeing shacks picture in the office

I just spoke to one of the owners (Tom) about the ranch. It sounds like it could be a very challenging archery hunt. The best news is they also have a long distance shooting range! I will definitely be booking a hunt for this coming Spring!!!!

• Like 1