Sign in to follow this  
RM762x51

What to do after snake bite?

Last week bear hunting got me thinking... What is the best course of action if bit by a rattler while out hunting? Obviously how far you are out will change the answer, but how far from your truck/main road do you have to be to just sit down and call in a rescue? Really been thinking about a Spot or similar but wouldn't want to deploy it premature.

Depends on where the bite is

If it bites you on the *** you are gonna die. Unless you are hunting with Ricky Martin, no one is gonna suck the poison out of that wound.

• Like 4

Tough call. The faster the blood flows, the faster the Venom is a absorbed into the system. You can tell pretty quickly if you have been envenomed, or if it is a dry bite. I would try keeping calm, and walk slowl to keep the heart rate down.?

If it bites you on the *** you are gonna die. Unless you are hunting with Ricky Marrin, no one is gonna suck the poison out of that wound.

Not true at all, I would definitely render that type of first aid, just as long as you're a chick that looks exactly like Kate Upton. If you're a dude or an ugly/hefty gal, then you're definitely go to die out there.

• Like 1

If it bites you on the *** you are gonna die. Unless you are hunting with Ricky Marrin, no one is gonna suck the poison out of that wound.

Depends if I'm hunting with the wife or not ha ha

• Like 1

From the Arizona poison and drug information center

First Aid

In many cases, first aid performed in the field by the patient or companions only causes additional injury. The best first aid kit for snakebite includes your car keys and cell phone. Get help quickly if you are bitten

If you are bitten,

Don't use ice or electricity.
Don't use constricting bands or suction. Using "extractors" does not remove a significant amount of venom and the process can increase tissue damage.
Don't give alcohol or medication.
Don't wait to see if you get symptoms.
Don't try to catch the snake.
The snake may bite again.
Capture will delay your getting to the hospital.
Treatment will be the same no matter which kind of rattlesnake bit you.
Do relax and move as little as possible.
Do remove tight clothing, shoes or jewelry from the bitten limb.
DO GO to the nearest medical facility immediately.

• Like 7

Pray, while sending an sos on your PLB then head back to the truck and head to a hospital. These scenarios really got me thinking once my kids and wife started hunting with me. Cashed in a bunch of credit card points and have $430 worth of REI giftcards which is going to my Garmin In Reach Explorer.

• Like 1

Always carry benadryl with you. Take a couple and get to the hospital.

• Like 1

I had an aunt that got struck 5 times by a rattle snake. She had Cerebal Palsy and didnt really know what was going on when she was taking out the trash and the snake got her. She is alive and well. Remember this if it happens. There are so many variables to a snake bite just hope for the best and get to a reputable hospital STAT

Seen two of these bad boys one escaped the other gutted and skinned 👍🏻. I too would like to know what to do after a rattlesnake bite?

post-14199-0-40870100-1504235512_thumb.jpg

This is an interesting topic as I'm surethane many of us have had close encounters with rattle snakes. I think staying calm and getting to help is an obvious ,what you should do, but everyone reacts to situations differently. So my question is what would you or (what would I) do? So this gives me an idea. I'll round up some snakes and medical professionals (although I don't put a lot of stock in them) and we'll get together and find out exactly how we would react! Anybody in?! Lol

Good information. I need to get a PLB and was looking at the resQlink ones. Once you hit the button someone is coming for you. I'd just hate to get stuck with the bill, but I'd also really hate to die on the side of a mountain. Maybe I'll look into the rescue insurance.

I came across a rattlesnake bite victim several years ago on a hiking trail near my house. The single best advice in my humble opinion is to make all attempts to stay clam and get to a medical facility asap. Helicopter ride may or may not be necessary depending on your reaction and how far in you are.