Sign in to follow this  
Coues Archer

Kifaru vs Stone Glacier packs... Which One??

Whatever you choose definately get a center zip bag!!! My old kifaru dt2 is a great bag but once you go center zip you won't go back!!

Do any of you guys own the current kifaru Hunter Duplex Frame? If so how is it??

Is the "Hunter Duplex Frame" you refer to the same one as the "Hunting Platform Frame" currently on their site?

Yes I'm referring to the current "Hunting Frame"

Also, guide lid is worth its weight in gold. Very convenient to have all your stuff you need quick on top of the pack and it's got a large opening.

I go down Tuesday to the allergy doctor in Mesa. If any of you guys want to meet up I can empty my pack(kifaru hunter frame with reckoning bag and guide lid) and bring it down so you can fill it with your stuff and see how you like it. Mine is set up for 5'7" and 175 lbs. 32" waiste small waist belt. My dad lives on baseline and Mesa drive. Let me know.

• Like 1

I run a duplex frame and a cargo panel. I gave up on trying to find a pack that did it all. Either two small for longer trips or to big and bulky to hunt with.

I have the cargo panel setup with two medium pouches on the outside and a long pouch on the inside bottom. Sometimes I will also run a large side pouch in the center inside. For backpack hunting or fishing trips I have a large duffel bag that all camp and sleeping gear goes in. The cargo panel straps are opened up and the duffel bag goes against the frame with the panel cinching it down. When I get to camp the large duffel is dropped, the cargo panel is cinched tight to the frame and I'm off hunting or fishing with the same pack I hauled at that gear in with. Cinched down the pack is a small enough package to hunt with. frame, panel, and pockets weigh about 6 lbs (without gear of course). This setup is completely modular. I can mix and match as I see fit to adjust to the trip. The cargo panel can hold securely and tight to the frame more weight than I'm capable of hauling while still carrying my hunting gear in the pockets. I don't like water bladders (make the water taste funny) so the belt has a nagelin bottle and the other side is setup for a gun bearer system. Clothing is shoved between the frame and the panel.

I've played around with more pack configurations over the years than I care to admit to. All of them had something I didn't like. This system is perfect. I can honestly say I've found the perfect setup for me.

post-621-0-11734800-1504311688_thumb.jpg

post-621-0-00236700-1504311701_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I go down Tuesday to the allergy doctor in Mesa. If any of you guys want to meet up I can empty my pack(kifaru hunter frame with reckoning bag and guide lid) and bring it down so you can fill it with your stuff and see how you like it. Mine is set up for 5'7" and 175 lbs. 32" waiste small waist belt. My dad lives on baseline and Mesa drive. Let me know.

Hey man thanks for the offer. That's awesome! But I live too far away lol thanks anyways man

• Like 1

I have had the nomad for 3year. I like it a lot. I looked at the reckoning but I never pack in for more that 5 days and the reckoning is huge. I also have the woodsman with or with out a guild lid it's perfect. The woodsman and reckoning have meat shelves and snow collars that can be used as a lid or filled and used a separate lid.

Mines loaded to the gills with out a lid but a full snow color with the draw string pulled close. right now for a family backing trip to chevlon canyon lake in the morning .post-4310-0-10853800-1504353812_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I run a duplex frame and a cargo panel. I gave up on trying to find a pack that did it all. Either two small for longer trips or to big and bulky to hunt with.

I have the cargo panel setup with two medium pouches on the outside and a long pouch on the inside bottom. Sometimes I will also run a large side pouch in the center inside. For backpack hunting or fishing trips I have a large duffel bag that all camp and sleeping gear goes in. The cargo panel straps are opened up and the duffel bag goes against the frame with the panel cinching it down. When I get to camp the large duffel is dropped, the cargo panel is cinched tight to the frame and I'm off hunting or fishing with the same pack I hauled at that gear in with. Cinched down the pack is a small enough package to hunt with. frame, panel, and pockets weigh about 6 lbs (without gear of course). This setup is completely modular. I can mix and match as I see fit to adjust to the trip. The cargo panel can hold securely and tight to the frame more weight than I'm capable of hauling while still carrying my hunting gear in the pockets. I don't like water bladders (make the water taste funny) so the belt has a nagelin bottle and the other side is setup for a gun bearer system. Clothing is shoved between the frame and the panel.

I've played around with more pack configurations over the years than I care to admit to. All of them had something I didn't like. This system is perfect. I can honestly say I've found the perfect setup for me.

That's a really good idea man I like it. Sweet set up

Wow, bvanetten! That looks like a bullet proof yet light weight set up to do anything. Awesome idea, I just may end up doing that. The only down side is where would you fit a bipod and spotting scope n such?

The cargo panel comes with a ton of additional straps and buckles. I use a pair of strap/buckle combo's on one edge of the panel to strap my tripod to. all of the additional straps and stuff get stored in a zippered pouch at the top of the panel. They make a long pocket designed for a spotting scope. I don't have a spotting scope yet so haven't tried it.

Another option I almost pulled the trigger on is a Nomad instead of the cargo panel. I didn't know how I would handle packing out meat though. There are enough pals locations on these packs that it probably doesn't matter, you could strap it down.

I sound like a Kifaru salesperson. :) I don't mean to. If I could find something cheaper that would get it done I would.

I will take a picture when I get home

That is the main reason I got rid of my EMR2 bag

Okay, I just watched the video again on the Kifaru website. I see what you are saying. Curse you! I thought I had finally made up my mind.

Making up your mind and changing your mind is a vicious circle. I sometimes do it to the point where I get dizzy.

I ordered the Kifaru frame and Woodsman a couple weeks ago and am anxious to get it!

not to go off the thread but i just bought the outdoormans pack and is a great pack, do you guys think is not a good pack, the reason i ask is because i never see it recommended on forums.