StickFlicker

Got the Muley Buck I was After!

Pretty sure Marvin got a scouting package or something, which to me doesn't matter, but evidently to some it makes it less of an accomplishment?????

It is a giant buck that took lots of time to kill. Huge congrats Marvin, it is a buck dreams are made of. I am extremely jealous and I love that buck.

• Like 1

Doesn't matter either way to me, but i heard it was guided.

I did hire Tory Brock to guide me, which was a first for me. But since it's such a vast area, with so few deer and so far from Phoenix, it seemed wise to make an exception for this particular hunt. The deal we worked out was essentially a scouting package that would become a guided hunt if I didn't kill a buck on my own in the first half of the season. However, I took the buck during the first week, so I never actually hunted with anyone from the guide service. I was camped 35+ miles away from the guide's camp (where they had three guides and three hunters), and camped and hunted entirely alone for the few days prior to the hunt and for the first 7 days of the actual season (including through the kill itself). So I was hunting alone when I killed it, but I owe a LOT to the knowledge that was given to me by Tory Brock who had been hunting this particular buck with clients for four years. Without his knowledge and willingness to share it with me, I certainly wouldn't have had the success that I did.

Bowhunters, rifle hunters and even raffle and auction hunters had hunted this buck over the years, but Tory said it was in just too difficult of an area for most hunters to be able to take him. I don't believe he was planning to hunt in this archery season had I not shown an interest in dedicating the first half of my hunt exclusively to taking him. Neither he nor any of his clients had ever actually seen the buck in person over those years, as I understand it, but he did have occasional trail camera pictures of him over the four years, and a few from six weeks before the season (before the rains came). Tori also allowed me to check his trail cameras in the area of the buck (and I had some of my own), and I did get one set of pictures of him three days before the season began, which were invaluable for putting me in the right position to take the buck. Therefore, since I did hire their services, and take buck with the assistance of Tory's knowledge of the history of this buck, and camera information, I gave him photos to distribute for his marketing purposes, which he clearly deserves. One of A3's guides did draw the tag himself (along with two member's of his family), and they were hunting the buck hard at the same time that I was. I believe this year's raffle hunter was also hunting him, since I saw he and his guide on trail cam pics during the hunt.

• Like 10

Scouting package or not that's a major score right there. Time and dedication can't be bought, and it sounds like you maxed both of those out. Awesome job, congrats.

Absolute monster great Deer and great job of taking him.

Congrats to Tory Brock and Chad Woodruff w/ Mossbackaz for putting the hunter in the right area to kill a buck of that caliber. A buck like that is extremely tough to kill DIY. Congrats to the hunter for making the shot when it counted.

"Congrats to Tory Brock and Chad Woodruff w/ Mossbackaz for putting the hunter in the right area to kill a buck of that caliber. A buck like that is extremely tough to kill DIY. Congrats to the hunter for making the shot when it counted."

Absolutely! They were great guys and ran an extremely successful camp of bowhunters this year on the Strip. I, and I'm sure all of the three hunters that were fully guided by them this year, would highly recommend their services.