MathewQuigly

Don't kill it

Those are some great pics. Wow is right.

My stepson and I were doing a trail cleanup out by 4 Peaks. We were loading a refrigerator into the bed of my truck to haul to the dumpster. We lost our grip while loading and the fridge dropped to the ground. A rattle snake came crawling out of the bottom of the fridge as soon as it hit the ground. The snake lost it's head shortly thereafter. We took the snake home and placed it in my dining room with nothing but it's chopped off head sticking out of the doggy door. Then, we waited patiently. My wife eventually got up to fetch some wine from the fridge and about lost her sh!t when she saw the snake. She REALLY lost her sh!t when my stepson proceeded to go pick the snake up.

Now that's funny stuff, what want to know is what happened after you scared the crap out of her? Was you in the dog house or on the couch

If it's up north and the black ones and on the way into a stand or camera I frequent they die every time.

Reason is those snakes seem to live in a small area and will be seen again on the next hike into the stand or camera. It's a matter of time with the black ones that you will run into them again becasue of their small home range. The rest of the rattlers I leave alone.

I let them live too. There are enough haters out there that it sort of balances out. I'm dying to eat one and try it out. Up north, they're small and not worth the effort, but if I find a decent sized one in the low desert, I'll take it.

One of my favorite movie scenes has a speech about a rattlesnake. It was from Natural Born Killers and an old Navajo tells a story of how a young woman gathering wood comes across a snake frozen in the snow. She takes the snake home and nurses it back to health. One day the snake bites her, as she lays there dying, she asked the snake "why have you done this" and the snake answers "look bitch, you knew I was a snake".

• Like 2

My stepson and I were doing a trail cleanup out by 4 Peaks. We were loading a refrigerator into the bed of my truck to haul to the dumpster. We lost our grip while loading and the fridge dropped to the ground. A rattle snake came crawling out of the bottom of the fridge as soon as it hit the ground. The snake lost it's head shortly thereafter. We took the snake home and placed it in my dining room with nothing but it's chopped off head sticking out of the doggy door. Then, we waited patiently. My wife eventually got up to fetch some wine from the fridge and about lost her sh!t when she saw the snake. She REALLY lost her sh!t when my stepson proceeded to go pick the snake up.

Now that's funny stuff, what want to know is what happened after you scared the crap out of her? Was you in the dog house or on the couch

I proceeded to pour her wine that she was fetching from the fridge, followed by more wine, then more wine....and everything seemed to work out just great.