Sign in to follow this  
Guest akaspecials

Shot Placement Review

If you're not aiming for the femoral artery, i don't want to hear a peep from you

• Like 1

Guest akaspecials

If you're not aiming for the femoral artery, i don't want to hear a peep from you

I don't advocate it, but femoral shots can be very effective. You have to use a double peep though... Lol.

post-5794-0-65844800-1504925518_thumb.jpg

All jokes aside, this was the aftermath of a FOLLOW UP shot to the femoral artery. First shot took out one and a half lungs, but it was at a steep angle and we weren't sure how well it was hit. The moose ran and the femoral was shot at 60 yards or so when he stopped and was trying to figure out what hit his chest. The whole thing took less than five minutes. Would NEVER take it as my first shot, but dang it can be effective as a follow up shot to speed things up. You have to know anatomy and put that arrrow in the perfect place though.

I walked thru cabelas with my wife who has many archery kills but has her first elk tag this year(friday bull). We went and looked at all the full body elk mounts and discussed shot placement from all angles, took some pictures for her to remind herself. A good anatomy lesson for her.

She has 3 peep sights on her bow :)

I walked thru cabelas with my wife who has many archery kills but has her first elk tag this year(friday bull). We went and looked at all the full body elk mounts and discussed shot placement from all angles, took some pictures for her to remind herself. A good anatomy lesson for her.

She has 3 peep sights on her bow :)

I've shot at many elk in Cabelas and have yet to get a decent blood trail from a single one of em.. Stupid things just won't go down!!

When I moved to Camp Verde years ago, my new neighbors next door where elkaholics, I swear they had every elk named in the vicinity. I pulled out my vintage compound (no peep) and the neighbor's two sons couldn't figure out how I aimed it...lol...when I told them I anchor on the corner of my mouth they though I was nuts. Good luck to all with tags this year. I have rifle elk and deer tag in 6A. I jumped a monster buck on a mesa two years ago in 6A about 1/4 mile from camp during rifle deer season. I had about a second of opportunity to pull my rifle up and shoot but it was directly toward our camp where our wives were at so I passed up the shot. Maybe he's still around there? I sure hope so