Sign in to follow this  
Idahocoueshunter

Does with antlers?

We had a weird experience hunting in 30A this year. My father was in camp with a sore ankle, when he heard a rock roll. Looking out from camp, on a small finger ridge about 30 yards away, he saw a small fawn standing. He thought it must be with its mother, and sure enough he saw movement a few yards ahead of the fawn. Thinking this was the doe; he was astonished to see that the "doe" had antlers. They were pencil thin, and protruded forward much like a horn would on a milk cow. The antlers had no hint of a brow time or fork. The deer with antlers was not a big bodied deer, and was similar build to the does we had been seeing. The fawn and "doe" seemed attached as my dad watched them work their way down the ridge, through the draw and up the other side. No other deer were with them. So, either this fawn had mothered up to a small buck, or its mother had gender issues. Anyone come across anything similar?

Craig.

Hermaphrodeer?

Ive never seen anything like that but there was a post on Archerytalk last week with pics of an antlered doe.

My guess would be that it was a small buck and not a doe, and the mother had been killed by lions, but then again who knows, anythings is possible. I've seen coues fawns down there mother up with muleys, but never an antlered deer. Make sure you buy a lion tag before you head down there next year, I know of lions that are shot almost every year in that unit by coincidental deer hunters.

one of my buddys shot an "antlered deer" one time and it had 3 points on both sides. There were no male genatalia down there at all, only a hole for pee to come out of. Very strange indeed. I don't think he ate it ha ha ha.

Thats why your tags read "ANTLERED DEER" not "Buck"

it does happen sometimes.

i saw a mule deer very similar to what you described.....im sure it was an antlered doe, because it had a suckling fawn...it also had two really skinny almost sickly looking spikies for antlers

Antlered does and cow elk are rare, but do happen. A friend of mine killed an antlered doe in 23 a long time ago. I remember an article where a guy killed a cow elk that scored in the 330's. Headache is correct, that is exactly why your tag says "antlered deer" and not "buck".

I got something right?!?!?! SWEET!

I'm throwing a party! :lol:

Actually I learned that during my hunters safety course. . . we had a very old knowledgeable guy teaching it.

Very cool class.