Sign in to follow this  
brademan76

Volunteer Game Deputies

Since there is little to no enforcement of game laws and the guys who are out there hunting witness laws being broken ALL THE TIME (I get it, funding and therefore personnel are extremely limited), is there any chance that G&F or FWS (heck, even county LE) could "deputize" people to help with enforcement?

Obviously there would be a steep learning curve for those people, and the vetting process to determine who would be qualified would be somewhat involved.

I'm sure with our convoluted judicial system, there would be lots of challenges, and probably too much additional liability for those entities with the deputies that it would never get off the ground.

Surely someone who has been around a lot longer than I or with a background in LE can punch lots of holes in this idea...

But, wouldn't it be nice knowing that the hunter on the next ridge could legally ask to see your license and write you a ticket for being on a closed road, etc? Sure would make me feel a little more warm and fuzzy knowing the wonderful resources we have are being a little better protected and hopefully cutting back on some of the riff-raff.

• Like 1

Yeah.

Bad idea.

Kinda reminds me of the movie "police academy" where the citizens were in a sense deputized.

Called it C.O.P = citizens on patrol.....that was a mess. Lol

• Like 2

That's the worst thing I've ever heard

Really? You thought" Hillary for president" was better than that?

Like I said, punch lots of holes.

I guess the idea of this thread is to bring about a discussion about enforcing rules/laws since history is showing there are fewer and fewer who play by them.

• Like 1

I like George carlins idea, everyone has a gun that shoots a-hole sticky signs and if your car has more than 2 a-hole signs you go to jail.

• Like 2

People would be getting shot, stabbed, raped etc. No bueno.

Haha! Its not like it would be a box you can check when you apply for a license and you get a little badge icon on your permit!

Maybe each warden could "train" 10 "deputies" per year. Would be a better use of the required time they have to spend "educating". Oversight on selecting those 10 people would have multiple layers of approval (interviews, character witnesses, background checks, etc), they wouldn't just be that LEO's cronies.

I like George carlins idea, everyone has a gun that shoots a-hole sticky signs and if your car has more than 2 a-hole signs you go to jail.

^^^^^^

Seriously though I think one concern would be along the lines of "justified harassment" if you get a couple of these deputies harassing other hunters to run them out of "their spot"...

• Like 1

This idea has come to mind several times over the years. Years ago I was on Sheriff Joe's posse...Search & Rescue. I once mentioned to a G&F officer the idea of a similar posse program. He wasn't keen on the idea at all.

I think an "eyes and ears" program could work. Maybe be issued a radio. Go through some training. No way we would be allowed to detain or issue citations/warnings.

G&F are spread so thin, I would think they would be receptive to some kind of help...but that would cut into the budget.

• Like 1