Sign in to follow this  
TexasHunter

unit 1 bull

Not the big bull we had been hunting. Decided to fill the freezer on the end of the hunt. My wife and I were out for the whole two weeks of the hunt.

Opening day started chasing a few bugles never getting close enough to see anything. That evening driving up to our hunting spot we see a 300inch or so bull but decide to pass.

The next morning we got into the bulls big time. They where bugling all around us so much so we would chase one bull then all of a sudden another one would sound closer so we would start chasing it. It was an awesome experience being our first ever elk hunt. That evening my wife decided she wanted to try calling. Well as luck would have it she called in a real nice 6x6 to 40 yards but we decided it was too early to take him and let him pass.

The next few days came and were all pretty much more of the same with bulls coming into the calls but not the big one we were looking for the first week.

Wednesday night we had to go home to work Thursday and bring our kids up for the weekend. We got back Thursday night and met some friends that were going to help over the weekend. Friday morning comes and my 7 year old son, my two buddies and I head out. Just after first light my son spots a monster bull but unfortunately we can't cut him off before he makes it to private property. We head back to camp to eat lunch and come up with a plan.

While at camp I hear a bugle right behind us and go after it. He only bugles twice so he was hard to locate. As I was trying to find him he walked right into camp. My friend took some pictures he was big and had one side palmated and I was half way up the hill.

As the weekend ended we run back home to drop the kids back off with the grandparents and head back to the mountains.

Monday evening came and my wife called in a really nice 6x6 with really dark antlers and bright ivory tips. He was at 60 yards and crossing in between two trees. I told my self I would release mid step and the shot would be perfect. Well luck would have it as soon as I let the arrow fly he stopped mid step. I watched as the arrow bounced right off of his shoulder. We find the arrow and confirm hardly any penetration. My wife says he just ran about 200 yards up let's see if we can get back on him. Well no joke 20 minutes later she called the same bull in and he was charging us full speed. My wife and I jump behind a log and he stopped 10 feet in front of us before turning to run away.

We had decided that with the weather supposed to be getting nasty the rest of the hunt that Tuesday on we would take any bull that got within range. Tuesday evening we were working a big bull that was hung up and we couldn't work any closer but as light was fading my wife spots another bull working his way in on the opposite side. I get repositioned as quick as I can and she gets him in to 75 yards. My position wasn't ideal as we were trying to work on the bull in the opposite direction and if I was going to get a shot this would be it. So I let the arrow fly. I hear the shwack and we watch the bull stumble and run off. He made it 45 yards before expiring right on the road of all places making the pack out just a small chore.

I want to thank all of my family and friends for watching the kids so my wife and I could spend 2 weeks in the woods,my wife for putting up with 2 weeks with me hunting, my freinds that helpped me on the hunt and all the folks here that gave my pointers on my first elk hunt.

He wasn't the toad we had been chasing but not bad for my first archery kill I would say.

post-1407-0-37308500-1506696250_thumb.jpeg

• Like 17

Well done sir. Especially on your first elk hunt. No offense to you, but I just have to say that people need to stop apologizing every time they post about shooting anything that isn't 350" or bigger. Kill ANY animal with a bow and it is an accomplishment. Besides, I would rather get drawn, get to go hunting with family, and kill 5 raghorns than wait 10-15 years for a tag and kill one big bull. But that's me. I just love to hunt. Don't get me wrong, I want to kill big animals just as much as the next guy. But having the opportunity to get out, hunt and fill the freezer for the family is much more important to me.

• Like 1

Well done sir. Especially on your first elk hunt. No offense to you, but I just have to say that people need to stop apologizing every time they post about shooting anything that isn't 350" or bigger. Kill ANY animal with a bow and it is an accomplishment. Besides, I would rather get drawn, get to go hunting with family, and kill 5 raghorns than wait 10-15 years for a tag and kill one big bull. But that's me. I just love to hunt. Don't get me wrong, I want to kill big animals just as much as the next guy. But having the opportunity to get out, hunt and fill the freezer for the family is much more important to me.

I agree with exactly and no offense taken.

• Like 1

Great bull. My only archery elk was a spike.......it was a fun/ challenging hunt. Glad you stuck it out and got it done. Congrats on some good eating!