AzDiamondHeat

How long do you sit?

How long do you usually sit at a particular spot while glassing?

Do you try to hit several spots in a day or stick to one or two?

Do you like to get up high and look down or start low and look up?

Elk season is over for me so just trying to stir some coues conversation....lol

I don't move very much I will dedicate a full day to a spot and change angles as the shade moves. If you go slow enough you can glass the small critters like quail, rabbits and coatimundi this helps when deer movement has haulted to keep you behind the binos.

Depends on the spot and how much country I can cover. If I can only glass a few hundred yards, I might leave after a hour or two. If I can cover miles of ground I might be there a couple days.

• Like 4

Depends on where the game is. I usually glass low to high first. Then gain elevation and glass high to low. Anywhere from 2 hours to 4 hours at a spot. Pick apart every single tree and bush.

• Like 3

Depends on the terrain. Down here in 35a I can glass for awhile then be sure it's time to move. Up where I'm planning on hunting in 23 on my son's youth hunt I think I could sit at one spot all day because it's so thick that I could probably keep going over the same areas over and over and eventually will see something decent.

• Like 2

I find a good high advantage point with good shooting angles and glass till your eyes bleed and then glass some more...I believe you need to visualize that shot your going to take and be ready for it .. Because I have had situations where I have seen them at great distances and moved a fraction and those little Ghost Busters stop look and you better have already pulled that trigger...They will disappear and if you are caught slipping they wont stop ..there not carp.. Stay patient , stay focus, stay positive and always be ready...." Glass Till your eyes bleed"..

• Like 2

If it is a good spot with lots a glassable country, I've sat sun up to sun down without moving. I've had it payoff at last light before, so I am very slow to give up on a spot.

• Like 1

I like to start high and look down when possible. I also look at the country and spend most of my time looking where they deer would typcially be at given the current conditions. I'm not a big fan of looking over every single bush and rock. I'm a much bigger fan of looking 3/4 the way up a hill that has the wind over the top of the hill and down onto the deer. You will typcially find 90% of your deer in that area of the hill. Shady/thicker spots are also very good.

So here is an example. If you are sitting on top of a hill and have the wind hitting you dead in the face then you should be looking 3/4 the way up the hill in front of you. The deer typically will be in that position so they can smell anything coming from above or over the hill while still looking below for their own protection. It's pretty simple once you start thinking like a deer.

• Like 1

On hot hunts ill glass high low till 11 or 12. I like covering lots of ground from 12-3ish looking in all the shady spots. Than its back to a high spot for the evening.

I think it all depends on a few things, Hunting and or scouting. how much area I can see, what time of year. If im scouting ill usally try and cover some country spending a morning in one spot and a evening in another then swapping it up morning in the other spot evening in the 1st spot. Hunting if I know there's a big buck in the area ill stay there all day and try and find him. If he don't turn up in a day or 2 I may try a different set of fingers near by or another area depending on how scouting went.

I like to get up as high as I can and start picking everything apart. I see a lot of deer in the bottoms through out the day using washes and such to get from point A-B.

As far as the time of year in December and January ill spend all day out because you never know what will show its self and when. They seem to move at all times of the day. In august and summer months ill try and glass in the Am till 9-10ish then head back out around 5ish and try and catch them coming and going.

• Like 1

I think it all depends on a few things, Hunting and or scouting. how much area I can see, what time of year. If im scouting ill usally try and cover some country spending a morning in one spot and a evening in another then swapping it up morning in the other spot evening in the 1st spot. Hunting if I know there's a big buck in the area ill stay there all day and try and find him. If he don't turn up in a day or 2 I may try a different set of fingers near by or another area depending on how scouting went.

I like to get up as high as I can and start picking everything apart. I see a lot of deer in the bottoms through out the day using washes and such to get from point A-B.

As far as the time of year in December and January ill spend all day out because you never know what will show its self and when. They seem to move at all times of the day. In august and summer months ill try and glass in the Am till 9-10ish then head back out around 5ish and try and catch them coming and going.

Great advice and great job of breaking it down in simple form!

• Like 2

Depends on country! But I like glassing low and looking up. Once I get to a high spot ill glass down. Usually anywhere from 15-40 mins. Ill move about a 1/4 mile in from the road to get different angles and start again.