azcouesandelk

Early Rifle Success

Before I dive into the story I need to thank a lot of people for the help on this hunt. When they found out I drew an early rifle tag they all jumped in and helped out in a big way. It truly amazes me how great of friends and family I have that they are all willing to drive from all over the state and take time off of work just to help me. Tyler, Rob, Jay, Jeff, Matt, Jesse, Josh and of course my dad. Without all of you this hunt would not have been possible and we would not have had such a great time!

Now onto the story...

Imagine the surprise when seeing that $135 charge on my card back in March knowing either my dad or myself drew an early rifle tag in one of our favorite units or I possibly drew one of the most coveted archery tags in the state. Waiting the next couple weeks was brutal to say the least! When results came out we found out that I had drawn the early rifle tag with only 5 bonus points!!! Talking with friends that knew the unit well we discussed areas to focus on and realistic expectations. Going into the hunt I knew the opportunity to harvest a great bull was possible, but I wanted more than just antlers on the wall. The expectation was set that we were going to have a fun camp and if a bull better than my last or something unique presented itself I would attempt to harvest him.

Leading up to the hunt I was able to get around 8 days of scouting in and was feeling confident with the quality of bulls I was seeing. The Tuesday before the hunt came fast and my dad and I were on the road to setup camp and do some final scouting. After camp was setup Tuesday I went to an area I had not scouted yet in hopes of finding a potential shooter and boy did I. Within a couple of minutes I found an amazing bull and watched him the rest of the night. I ended up going back and watched him all day Wednesday and Thursday also! The plan was set that we would have eyes all over the valley and ridges to locate this bull and hopefully get me a shot opening morning.

post-322-0-79399600-1507131666_thumb.jpg

post-322-0-49521000-1507131682_thumb.png

post-322-0-00529300-1507131710_thumb.png

Opening morning came and everybody was in place about an hour before light. It was an eerily quiet morning as we sat waiting for first light. Rob and myself moved in to the ridges awaiting the call that they had located the bull. The entire morning was spent looking in his bedding areas and rut areas in hopes he would show. Sadly he never presented himself and we backed out that morning in hopes that he would show that afternoon. We went back early in the afternoon and got setup again with spotters all around looking for the bull as Rob and I sat in a cut I had seen him feed through the previous 2 evenings. It did not take long before we got the call that they located the bull nearly 2 miles from us. We packed up and made a beeline to where he was. We ended up working up the ridge and setup approximately 600 yards from where we found his cows bedded. Now the wait began! We sat there with the cows looking in our direction periodically for nearly 90 minutes before he decided to stand. We watched him push a cow into an opening at 575 and I setup for the shot. I wish I could say the bull dropped in his tracks and the hunt was over, but sadly I can't. I ended up pulling my shot and grazed his back. We ended up tracking the bull on minimal blood and his tracks for a long ways before he bedded. In his bed was only a dollar size spot of blood and after that nothing! The entire second day was spent searching the area on the ground and with guys on hills glassing in hopes of turning him up with no luck.

Sunday morning we decided to have 2 guys sit and glass the area where the big bull was and the rest of us would go looking for new elk. It did not take long and we had a mature bull located pushing a group of 5 cows. We bailed off the hill and booked it across the flat in hopes of heading the heard off. As we were pushing across the flat Rob saw his antlers in the cut to our left. After looking at his top end through the 15's I told him if I had an opportunity to harvest him I would. We continued across the flat to head off the bull when we saw his antlers again, this time he was a mere 175 yards out! I set up while Rob watched through the 15's. We could tell at this point he had a twisted pedical and broken or weak G3 on his left side but it did not matter to me. The bull presented itself after a couple of minutes and he went down. As we walked up on the bull we realized that this was an old bull that had amazing character! The fact that everybody was still in camp and able to be a part of the harvest made it even more special to me.

Again I cannot thank everybody enough for everything they did for me on this hunt. One day I will be able to make it up to each of you!

post-322-0-20814000-1507131873_thumb.jpg

post-322-0-75242400-1507132922_thumb.jpg

post-322-0-50686300-1507131903_thumb.jpg

post-322-0-25480600-1507132437_thumb.jpg

post-322-0-38006300-1507132456_thumb.jpg

post-322-0-82953800-1507132481_thumb.jpg

post-322-0-57498800-1507132498_thumb.jpg

post-322-0-28535400-1507132514_thumb.jpg

post-322-0-77665500-1507132531_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Congrats

Awesome! Congrats and thanks for the story and pics.

Nice job man! Congrats again. And thanks for leaving the big guy for me. LoL

Congrats on a nice old bull. Not to throw salt in your wounds, but the one that got away is a real gagger!

Great job Christian what a stud! Looks like you had a bunch of help, and I use that term loosely. :)

• Like 2