Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Who else is going out this weekend?

I'll be going solo, was hoping my son would tag a long. I'll be somewhere in the northern part of 22, chasing squirrels too.

Good Luck to everyone else out there.

• Like 1

Draysen and I will be out chasing stink pigs in 33. Maybe a deer too, but only if he is a giant.

Good Luck. It has been a few years since I was in 33 but just might be my fav unit for deer. I was getting rambunctious on my way home from work seeing everyone headed out.

Leaving tomorrow after work for the northern half of 6A with my sons. Hunting turkey and squirrel but mainly trying out my new Alaknak

• Like 1

Draysen and I will be out chasing stink pigs in 33. Maybe a deer too, but only if he is a giant.

It's pig and deer season?

Some of the southern youth deer hunts open tomorrow, and some of them allow you to purchase a youth javelina companion tag if drawn for deer. The weather is warm, but having both tags in your pocket can make for a fun hunt for the youngsters.

• Like 1

5A in a couple of hours heading up..gonna put on some miles,fav time of year to be in the woods

Not to change subject but this may be the year of the squirrel. Lived here all 54 years of my life and don't ever recall seeing so many squirrels as this year. Coconino forest is loaded this year. Go for squirrel if the turkey hunting is not working out. I agree, this is a great time to be out in the woods. Good Luck and have fun.

Was in 8 yesterday Elk and squirrels, mulies and coues but no turkeys. Have a somber event to attend today, then back out tomorrow. I will say the only thing outnumbering the squirrels was the people.

This thread just clinched it for me. Tomorrow its on squirrels!

5a today this AM lots o miles for this bird! coulda killed a couple of hundred squirrels...they sure can rattle you when close

post-8870-0-13055800-1507412860_thumb.jpg

post-8870-0-04520900-1507412864_thumb.jpg

post-8870-0-56855300-1507412872_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Got to camp and set it up just before dark. It was eerily quiet all. No Elk or Yotes. I left camp at sunrise and hunted my way north for half a mile to a tank and sat it until about 1 o'clock. Only saw a elk and her calf, one note and lots of woodpeckers and a few squirrels so I walked back to camp to get my 22 and drove back. As I was getting the 22 loaded and husband and wife were walking up and we talked for a bit. She had a tag so they were going to go up and sit the trick tank. I told them I had not seen any turkeys, or tracks all morning and wished them luck.

Well all the squirrels I had seen earlier were nowhere to be found so I went back to camp and decided to drive a few miles to another area. When I got back out onto Houston Mesa Rd I had only gone about a 1/4 mile and came up on four hens in the road. I stopped and grabbed the shotgun and a shell and ran into the forest and took a shot but missed. Back up and to the truck to get another shell and I notice the last hen still on the other side of the road getting to make a beeline across it to catch up with the others.

Knowing where she was headed I ignored her and ran into the woods to intercept her, meanwhile my truck is idling on the side of the road with the doors open. I managed to get off a shot that put her down as lady luck would have it. Sure had my adrenalin going. I got back to camp and took a few pictures and the couple from earlier came by and she got to see her first turkey up close. After I plucked and cleaned it a young couple from Pine drove by and saw me put it in the cooler and stopped to chat.

I got up early and broke camp and headed out at 7:30 and met another husband and wife who were walking in and stopped to talk and tell them what I knew about the area then headed out.

It was refreshing to see three married couples who hunted together as that was something I could never get my wife to do. Two of the couples the wife was the one with the tag and all were genuinely nice people.

That's my old Mossberg 500 I hand painted back in about 1985.

post-3883-0-41618000-1507490689_thumb.jpg

post-3883-0-82995600-1507490718_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Nice! Love the part about the truck left idling at the side of the road with doors open. I've been there more than once running after something into the forest or desert.

• Like 1