Sign in to follow this  
levers

Comparing Vortex Binos

You can find deer with them. No problem. For $550 you can't do better. Obviously you can get fancier glass for more money. I have the Vortex 12's and 15's. Both meet my needs.

My dream pair is the 15x56 BX-5 Santiam by Leupold. Just don't think they are $1500 better than what I have. To each his own.

In 15's I personally prefer monarch 5 16x56 rather then vortex viper 15x50 hd cuz Vipers strain my eyes and I just don't think they are that clear although a friend has exact opposite reaction.

In 12's and 10's the Leupold bx-3 and bx-4 are outstanding glass for the $. I have not tried bx-5 15's.

I just do not like viper 15's. Nope no sir nopers.

I like the Vortex in same order as $ spent so Razors are best and Kaibabs 2nd and so on.

I also am not a fan of the Viper 15's. I compare them every hunt I go on with my cousin against my Monarch 12x42's and for me the FOV of the Vipers is just too small. I find way more deer than him. Someone on here is selling some Monarch 12x56 which I think are a sleeper of great glass.

Have you looked at the lower cost Vulture 15x56? I've heard good things about them for the cost.

I had viper 12xs for years,found a lot of deer with them.they are middle of the road binos for middle of the road price in my opinion. I got them for under 400 with their government discount, and for that price I think they're very hard to beat. For 600, i still think they're a decent value,but In my opinion there's better out there in that price range. The warranty is worth something vs companies with lesser warranties too.

I also am not a fan of the Viper 15's. I compare them every hunt I go on with my cousin against my Monarch 12x42's and for me the FOV of the Vipers is just too small. I find way more deer than him. Someone on here is selling some Monarch 12x56 which I think are a sleeper of great glass.

Have you looked at the lower cost Vulture 15x56? I've heard good things about them for the cost.

That's me selling the Nikon 12x56 you are correct they are the sleeper glass. I've owned three or four pairs of them and they are awesome! The couple pairs that I have sold on here when I have cycled into different glass usually guys get on there and brag about how much they like them and wish they never would have sold them. I tell you what comparing them side-by-side with stuff that cost two to three times as much is kind of funny. And yes once you've used the 12x56 you love the FOV. Heck I've almost talked myself into not selling them

I would look at the Nikon Monarch 5s, way clearer than the vipers. Nikon also makes 12x50 in those. I think you would be much happier with those.

I would look at the Nikon Monarch 5s, way clearer than the vipers. Nikon also makes 12x50 in those. I think you would be much happier with those.

Nope. 12x42 Monarch 5 only :( Biggest mistake they made was dropping down to 42mm obj in 12 power. They have prostaff 5 12x50 but no monarch 12x50 or 12x56 anymore.

Levers in the end the Viper is gr8 for the price. It is smaller so not big and heavy for a pack BUT the clarity is just not there and for a 15 power optic the 50mm obj is lacking some light. If you go with Viper consider checking out the 12x50 Viper it may be better choice just don't expect Razor binoc sharpness.

• Like 1

I started out with the Vulture 15x56s due to budgetary restrictions, then moved up to the Viper 15x50s for their relatively low size/weight and recently moved to the Kaibab 15x56s. To me there is a noticeable difference in viewing quality. If you're fire/police/military GovX sometimes has terrific deals on Vortex

Add me to the list of people that don't like the Viper 15s. I think the edge clarity kind of sucks, and the color is awful. They're pretty washed out color wise.

• Like 1

I have been using the 15x56 vultures for a few years now and the clarity in the middle of the FOV is great but the edges are not. I went with those instead of the vipers because of the 56mm objective lens. Only other draw back to the vultures is the weight. I think if you can afford the razors then go that route.