Sign in to follow this  
dcshorthairs

Practice much?

Amazing how much of that arrow is actually buried in that poor critter!

Agreed. I left my camera up and hope to still see her alive in a couple weeks but I think it's anyone's guess. Too bad

That isn't a practice issue, it is a common sense issue. Shoot / Don't Shoot. Someone got that one very, very wrong.

• Like 2

Shot a 335 bull in 4 a in 1995 right up the wazzo at 15 yards facing straight away bugling. Bull went 30 yards and it was over. It's a doable shot if your really close and can make sure it goes up the poop shoot. Haven't tried that shot again but if it's under 15 yards and I'm sure I can punch it through the canal I would do it again.

And if your off 2 or 3 inches, you end up like the picture. Not an ethical shot, you got lucky.

Not getting into ethics but if you are off 2-3 inches at 15 yards you shouldn't be hunting.

• Like 2

This year has realized that on elk, I don't really see a reason to take questionable shots. It's not that hard to get close, and they move enough that getting a broadside shot most of the time is a matter of patience. I could have taken head on or facing away shots at close range, but didn't really see a reason to. There are enough other things that can go wrong, why risk a bad angle.

• Like 2

And if your off 2 or 3 inches, you end up like the picture. Not an ethical shot, you got lucky.

Not getting into ethics but if you are off 2-3 inches at 15 yards you shouldn't be hunting.

bull screaming in your face and only off 2-3" off target isnt bad at all imo

• Like 1

This year has realized that on elk, I don't really see a reason to take questionable shots. It's not that hard to get close, and they move enough that getting a broadside shot most of the time is a matter of patience. I could have taken head on or facing away shots at close range, but didn't really see a reason to. There are enough other things that can go wrong, why risk a bad angle.

yeah theyre so easy to get up on and a clear shot that everyone shoots 370 bulls

• Like 1

At 15 yards or less and at that time shooting bottle caps sized groups at 50 yards, it was nearly impossible to be off more than an inch on the shot. Knowing exactly where the spot to hit is more about it all, and I knew exactly where to shoot. It's not lucky in any way to put an arrow at that distance within an inch or less or where I was shooting. These days I'm not nearly as good of shot as I was back then so the shot would have tk be 10 yards or less, and there would be no luck required to put an arrow right up that canal no problem. To each his own on your opinion of my shot, and it's all good that you feel this way , but that's an easy shot for someone that's proficient with a bow, and Better yet calm when shooting at an animal. 2 reasons luck played zero role in my shot. First being knowing the spot I shot at which isn't just an butt shot and being very proficient with a bow.

Anyways I respect your opinion and I wouldn't recommend anyone shooting the shot on an elk, unless it's super close and they know the structure of the animal.

bull screaming in your face and only off 2-3" off target isnt bad at all imo

Very true, things get hectic quick in those situations and things happen. Still at that distance things have to go south fast to be 2-3 inches off your desired POI if you're at least somewhat proficient.

At 15 yards or less and at that time shooting bottle caps sized groups at 50 yards, it was nearly impossible to be off more than an inch on the shot. Knowing exactly where the spot to hit is more about it all, and I knew exactly where to shoot. It's not lucky in any way to put an arrow at that distance within an inch or less or where I was shooting. These days I'm not nearly as good of shot as I was back then so the shot would have tk be 10 yards or less, and there would be no luck required to put an arrow right up that canal no problem. To each his own on your opinion of my shot, and it's all good that you feel this way , but that's an easy shot for someone that's proficient with a bow, and Better yet calm when shooting at an animal. 2 reasons luck played zero role in my shot. First being knowing the spot I shot at which isn't just an butt shot and being very proficient with a bow.

Anyways I respect your opinion and I wouldn't recommend anyone shooting the shot on an elk, unless it's super close and they know the structure of the animal.

Yep and no elk has ever moved more than an inch between when you squeeze the release and when the arrow gets there has it? I am only pitching in this ethics battle because it shouldn't be promoted to take questionable shots when you could let it walk and work on getting a better shot. It's not life or death for you so don't make it suffer for your bragging rights. Unless you just like to look at butt holes and that's your thing.

• Like 2

yeah theyre so easy to get up on and a clear shot that everyone shoots 370 bulls

Size of a trophy has zero impact on shot selection. The number of 370 bulls has more to do with the number of 370 bulls around than the difficulty of stalking rutting elk.
  • Like 1