Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Bird Dog Boots?

In a couple weeks my young pup will be joining me for the first time for some scouting trips in the desert - just tagging along in cactus country. U guys with bird dogs use protective booties for ur dogs and if so what do u recommend?

I usually don't put boots on my dogs but when I do i use Lewis Dog boots.

• Like 1

Never used them before. I wouldn't bring a young dog around a bunch or cactus and cholla yet. It's not just their feet but the rest of their body affected. No reason for it.

• Like 3

Never used them before. I wouldn't bring a young dog around a bunch or cactus and cholla yet. It's not just their feet but the rest of their body affected. No reason for it.

I agree about not taking your young dog around cholla yet.

I will add that boots really don't help protect against cactus in fact they can make them worse.

This method works pretty good and its what I started doing toward the end of last season. Boots are expensive and get worn out or thrown off too often in the desert.

https://youtu.be/f6nlipXdB6s

• Like 2

This method works pretty good and its what I started doing toward the end of last season. Boots are expensive and get worn out or thrown off too often in the desert.

I like the minute 3:25 when he kicks at the dog lol 😂