Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Part 1-Jr tag filled

I took my youngest boy out first. He wasn't able to fill his last years tag so I was determined to put the time in on this hunt. We hunted all day Friday, Saturday morning and then Monday evening. With 3 kids, time is never on your side. Many miles were put on our boots as well as many hours behind glass, only to see an over abundance of does, never complained once. Well on Monday evening he was able to put his tag on his very 1st WT buck. That evening, I located 3 bucks and we got within 250 yds, after he missed 2 shots and scared them over the hill we went after them. The funny thing was, I was watching a buck that I thought he was getting ready to shoot but he found another one on his own and was able to shoot it at 150 yds. Couldn't have been happier. Got it to the butcher and the rest is history.

post-2173-0-69153700-1507666945_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

Nicely done, good for him and great job dad! Congratulations all the way around.

Nice dark horns! So is the third kid hunting too?

Unfortunately no, he wanted to hunt muley in 36A. He wasn't drawn for that unit and we couldn't get any leftovers. He is really bummed. Since he started hunting 4 yrs ago, he has gone 4 for 4. Now his streak has ended.

As for the deep rich dark antlers, because of the past Burro fire, the bucks were rubbing their velvet off on the charcoal/burnt trees. Kind of cool looking but very messy.