Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Oh Boy....I mean Girl!!!

WTF? It is in the freaking NAME! BOY Scouts. So can I join the Girl Scouts and eat all the thin mints for free now?

• Like 1

WTF? It is in the freaking NAME! BOY Scouts. So can I join the Girl Scouts and eat all the thin mints for free now?

No, that would be unfair because the boys would dominate anything they do. People only want equality until it has a negative effect for them.

• Like 2

Since I read about this earlier today, I've had a hard time putting into words my frustration and anger with this once great organization. I've been involved with scouting since well before I was old enough to be a cub scout at eight years old. I used to go to meetings and on campouts with my dad when he was a scoutmaster. I have worked with the organization is some capacity ever since. My disgust is not necessarily about this most recent change, but about the direction the organization has taken over the past few years. To me, being a scout and an eagle scout does not have the meaning it once did. The Boy Scouts used to stand for honor, morals, integrity, etc. But time and time again they are moving further from their core principles. An organization like the BSA needs to be a "lighthouse" for these young men. strong an immovable in the values and beliefs. Instead they have become a ship on the water that is tossed about and changes direction every time the political or social "wind" blows.

I spoke with my wife a short time ago and shared my feelings with her. She and I are in complete agreement. My oldest son (13 years old) is about to receive his "Life" rank. Tonight we will be sitting down with him to talk and letting him decide if he wants to continue on to his "Eagle" or pull out of all BSA related activities. If he does chose to continue in scouting, I will support and encourage him as a parent but then I am done.

So many boys in our society need an organization like what the BSA used to be. Few get the exposure to the outdoors and types of activities that the BSA can offer. Fortunately for my children, they get more of this in our family than the BSA could ever offer. But I feel terrible for those young men who don't have such a family structure and lifestyle.

It scares the heck out of me for the future.

• Like 8

But you still have to be Mormon.

Last I heard the Mormon church only composes about 18% of the organization and has already started the process of withdrawing from the BSA.

I went to a Boy Scouts meeting thing when I was in 5th grade with some classmates. I think it was mainly about converting me to LDS.

All Troops and Packs have their own feel and flavor. My guess is you visited one sponsored by a LDS church. They are not all that way.

I went to a Boy Scouts meeting thing when I was in 5th grade with some classmates. I think it was mainly about converting me to LDS.

All Troops and Packs have their own feel and flavor. My guess is you visited one sponsored by a LDS church. They are not all that way.

I'm sure, it was Lindsey and mckellips area in 1995 I was the only non Mormon kid within 7 miles