Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

Youth elk down

unfortunately we didn't get any field photo's, but my son landed his first elk last night.

props to game and fish for making the youth season!!

Yesterday, late afternoon, he took the shot but I thought he missed. There was no blood, no hair, nothing. But we went back this morning just to check and we found her. She was still breathing but down. So he put the last shot and her just this morning. Best case scenario the meat was still good.

• Like 1

Awesome, great job little man I bet he'll be back for more in the years to come.at least he knows where meat comes from and how to get it.congrats

• Like 1

sooo.....

The little fella got his first junior elk tag on his first try in the draw. Needless to say he was pumped.

I had a blind set up in a really dry area that holds a lot of elk, but our first shot opening morning was to glass the desert. Well it was hot down there, and we came back parched, and didn't see a thing.

I had been working on him with shooting in the last couple of weeks, and had him shoot the .22 as much as possible, and taking a few cracks with the '06 with a break. He seemed to catch on quickly.

So that after noon, we got in the blind. It was hot, and dry. Things were kind of slow, a herd of pigs came in, and a deer almost made it to the water before blowing out of there when my son flinched in the blind.

I was about to give up hope, when as the sun was going down i heard a bugle. A few minutes later he bugled again, only this time he was probably just a couple hundred yards out. I knew they were coming in. We got set up.

When they came in, they all huddled around the western corner of the tank, and my son couldn't get the rifle pointed in that direction from where he was sitting. So we waited. But the elk seemed to be turning around, and looked to be headed back the way they came, instead of coming in view. Nervous that they would not present a shot, i finally moved the bipod over so he could get a shot. I didn't quite have my fingers in my ears when the muzzle break nearly shattered my eardrum.

The elk took off. We got out, and i looked for hair and blood until it was dark. Nothing. I thought for sure he missed.

In the morning we chased bugles, but i wanted to get back in there before it got hot. When we got to the tank, we offered a quick prayer for guidance, and took off in the direction they ran. Still, no blood; no hair.

I heared some belabored breathing, just by chance after about a hundred yards. After investigation, we found her and finished the job. I think he only got one lung on the first shot, so she made it through the night. Best case scenario; we would have lost the meat if she laid out there all night.

• Like 2

Glad it all worked out for the best! Congratulations to him.

• Like 1