Sign in to follow this  
Born2hunt

Bucks vs does

My kids have the 21 youth tag right now and so far weve only glassed up does during the season. I glassed up some nice coues bucks before the season but havent seen them since. Question is should I keep looking where Im seeing does or will I definitely not see bucks on the same ridge as the does? The bucks were 1/2 - 3/4 mile from where Im now glassing up does.

Thanks!

I would move to where you were seeing bucks and if they're not there look somewhere else. The is not unit specific advice. But if all you're seeing is does this time of year the best you're gonna see is a small buck that's still hanging with mama. Try a different spot you might find a honey hole. Either way your hunting and should have a good time. Good luck

Why would you not be glassing where you spotted bucks before season?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I glassed the bucks near the top of a tall grassy knob/peak. Ive since glassed the same area from top to bottom from almost all angles. Theres another ridge below it where I can glass the grassy top at first light then turn around and glass the thick north slope of the next ridge over as the day warms up. When I glass that thick north facing side hill Ive found a few groups of does. Obviously the does like to be on that side hill, Im curious if bucks would be that close to does or if they would keep more distance than that from the does. Im guessing the does are bedding about 3/4 mile from where I glassed the bucks a few weeks ago. Sorry for the confusion.

So I guess the short answer is I am glassing where I saw the bucks, I just havent found them yet. While Im there Im glassing areas around there and finding does. Im wondering if that means keep looking there or if bucks would stay off the same sidehill as the does. Thanks everyone for the quick comments!

They might already be bedded down now. It has got pretty warm the last week. I have three friends with kids that have youth tags and they all say it is really warm. They are all saying that the bucks are bedding early.

They are still in the area but with temps and the moon they are almost nocturnal. You may have to catch them in there bed or right away moving to there beds in the morning

I followed a tip from Culpritz and got my oldest daughter on a nice 4x muley which she killed on her first stalk ever. Great buck and thanks again to Culpritz for helping it happen!

Took my other daughter out where I was seeing the WT does and still didnt find the bucks I was after but she did have an opportunity on a WT spike but she decided not to shoot and wait for an older deer. Great hunt!

Heres a pic of the deer caped out. Really nice buck and he had a huge body. He lived in a burn so he has nice charcoal colored antlers which is pretty neat. Im real happy for her!

post-15966-0-42651700-1508610553_thumb.png

• Like 2