Sign in to follow this  
Coach801

Unit 32 Questions

I am new to Arizona (Mesa) and put in for and drew out for my first Coues hunt. Dec 1-10. Never hunted Coues before but have read everything that Google will bring up. I am new to my job and have my first newborn (son) so taking a lot of time off isn't possible yet but I have taken a couple of scouting weekends to different areas. (Sunset Loop, Jackson Cabin) I have sat and glassed forever and have been able to spot some deer. Not many. Only seen one small buck. I'm concerned how busy places get for this hunt and I'm wondering how many realistic back ups i should have and what areas I should focus. I'm not afraid to hike but need to be able to make it back to camp each night as my wife and child want to come with me (to camp).

I'm not asking for anyone's honey hole, just trying to do what I can with what I have available to me. Any direction from you experts would be greatly appreciated. I know I am new but I look to contribute what I can and will post my results. Thanks!

-Jax

Sunset loop get crowded considering there is almost no public access and mostly mule deer in the area.

The road to your second place in (these) is good. From hooker up to the end. Just as many people as anywhere else but lots a rough country to get away. We hunted around the cabin a few years ago and stayed in the cabin. Besides the packrats it was a nice stay. I ended up breaking my foot while there, the walk back to the cabin and the 2 days staying there thinking it wasn't broke really messed me up lol.

Access sucks, but there are still a few spots you can get in closer. Get away from the roads and you'll find deer. I backpacked in last year (not very far even) and saw deer every day. Tried to get in on one decent buck, but never got close enough to feel comfortable taking the shot. Read the AZGFD "Where to Hunt" section, then do a google search on this site for "32" followed by another one for "Galiuro" (don't forget all the ways to misspell that too) and enjoy the reading that is there. Use google earth to help scout out spots, and then I recommend spending one of your scouting weekends actually doing an overnight. You may also want to pack water in. That terrain can be dang near vertical, and thick, but there is a ton of wildlife in those hills. Don't forget your lion tag.

rut is a LONG way off...

One suggestion, if you haven't been out scouting...go now! Not to find deer but to see the terrain and hike it. If you are new to Az unit 32 is nothing like you have ever hiked.

• Like 2

Sorry but someone has to say it some people dont deserve a tag and should not be hunting

Go out during an early hunt and see what the country looks like and where other people hunt and camp. Try to find a spot where others dont want to go. Get up high and look down low.

referencing bobbyhp- quote didn't come through. Life gets in the way of doing things the way you would like sometimes. That doesn't mean you don't deserve a tag!!

You guys can get as posed at me as u want I am just sick of people always wanting help to spots/locations of where to hunt when all you have to do is look on Game and fish and get out and scout. You get out what u put in plane and simple