Sign in to follow this  
257 STW

One of the best birthday weekend with the Shorties

My ten-year-old Estrella Drew her first big game deer tag. Estrella has a 260 Remington that she has been shooting quite a bit this year and getting comfortable with she has been shooting out to 400 yards comfortably shooting just under 3 inches. I have done quite a bit of scouting to try and put together the easiest scenario for her hunt as I will be solo with my ten-year-old and 5 year old Jacob. My five year old has quite the imagination and it's hard to keep him still and quiet let alone especially when we're out looking for Critters. Opening morning couldn't come soon enough as we left camp at 5 a.m. and got to our glassing spot at 6 a.m. luckily Jacob was still sleepy and not all the way awake yet I glassed a buck up right away about 400 yards out i had Estrellas rifle set up on the tripod with the triclawps already . I showed her the buck through my glasses and she got excited real quick I told her to find the buck in her rifle scope and get comfortable. I ranged a few spots where I thought he would come in. He came in to about 300 yards where I thought he would I dialed the turret on her rifle and she said dad can I chamber a round I told her to go ahead and get comfortable and whenever the buck turns broadside and presents a shot to squeeze it off when she was comfortable enough. The whole time Jacob sitting there with his ear plugs in his ears and I'm trying to keep him quiet cuz I'm telling him Sissy is getting ready to shoot a deer and he needs to use his quiet hunting voice , well he has ear plugs in his ears so he can't hear so well so he's talking louder I'm thinking to myself this whole time this bucks going to blow this country. Estrella tells me dad plug your ears I told her don't worry about me take your time and do what you need to do boom whack high fives Jacob says Estrella you get him he got in on the high fives Jacob tells me dad hurry up get your pack let's go get him his time can't come fast enough. Just like that done 7:30 opening morning one of the best birthday weekend ever with my shortiespost-3803-0-20152500-1508223009_thumb.jpgpost-3803-0-41100100-1508223159_thumb.jpgpost-3803-0-71313900-1508275529_thumb.pngpost-3803-0-06704600-1508275753_thumb.jpg

post-3803-0-11333400-1508276210_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Now thats a real good story!!! Congrats to all

My son is 6 and is still working on his quiet hunting voice. One time he stayed behind with grandma while I stalked a herd of pigs (archery), I was a good 800 yards away and I could hear HI DADDY I CAN SEE YOU- he was watching me through the 15's. He spooked the pigs but they ran at me, swack and done!

• Like 4

Congratulations to you all. Sounds and looks like a blast! Way to go and beautiful buck.

Now thats a real good story!!! Congrats to all

My son is 6 and is still working on his quiet hunting voice. One time he stayed behind with grandma while I stalked a herd of pigs (archery), I was a good 800 yards away and I could hear HI DADDY I CAN SEE YOU- he was watching me through the 15's. He spooked the pigs but they ran at me, swack and done!

Thats classic right there. Awesome.

Thanks everyone now it's my turn on a leftover tag down south next week and the Shorties are rolling with me they can't wait we'll see how this goes I can't wait either it's going to be a good time no matter what the outcome is.

Congratulations on all accounts!