Bonz78

New to Bowhunting

Depends how far from your vehicle you're hunting. I would watch several videos on gutless field dressing. Then debone the meat right there and bring the meat back. This way you won't need a pricey pack. Also field dressing can be intimidating the first few times. I would highly recommend you get a leftover pig tag. List should be out soon. Making your first stalk and field dressing attempt on a pig would be a good way to get your feet wet.

good advice here. I've always been pretty clumsy with field dressing, as I frankly just don't do it that often. This year I did the gutless method on my deer and it was ridiculously easy. Had that deer skinned cut up & in my backpack in less than 45 minutes and that's long compared to guys that are experienced at it. I've seen videos where guys get it done in under 15 minutes.

That having been said, guys that are good at field dressing can get one done in close to the same time. My buddy I hunt with back in Nebraska does so many per year & is so good at it, he can get one from the field to freezer in about an hour. There's some good videos on that way too and it can net you some more meat plus the heart & liver if you like them.

Also, don't over look the tongue. I just had deer tongue for the first time last week. Man, that's probably the best piece of meat on the deer! Can't believe I've been throwing them away all these years... I'll be taking that piece from now on too.

Depends how far from your vehicle you're hunting. I would watch several videos on gutless field dressing. Then debone the meat right there and bring the meat back. This way you won't need a pricey pack. Also field dressing can be intimidating the first few times. I would highly recommend you get a leftover pig tag. List should be out soon. Making your first stalk and field dressing attempt on a pig would be a good way to get your feet wet.

good advice here. I've always been pretty clumsy with field dressing, as I frankly just don't do it that often. This year I did the gutless method on my deer and it was ridiculously easy. Had that deer skinned cut up & in my backpack in less than 45 minutes and that's long compared to guys that are experienced at it. I've seen videos where guys get it done in under 15 minutes.

That having been said, guys that are good at field dressing can get one done in close to the same time. My buddy I hunt with back in Nebraska does so many per year & is so good at it, he can get one from the field to freezer in about an hour. There's some good videos on that way too and it can net you some more meat plus the heart & liver if you like them.

Also, don't over look the tongue. I just had deer tongue for the first time last week. Man, that's probably the best piece of meat on the deer! Can't believe I've been throwing them away all these years... I'll be taking that piece from now on too.

Lol, this it's the first year I brought home an elk tongue off my son's cow. I had it in the fridge and noticed it was gone. Asked my daughter where it was and apparently my son took it to school for some old fashioned hijinx. Maybe next year.

If you arent sold on tongue, go to your favorite hole in the wall taco shop and order the Lengua plate. It has the flavor/consistency of the best pot roast you have ever had. The flavor only gets better when you go to the original organic.

Par boil in salty water for 15-20 minutes whole. Pull and let rest for 10 min and I recommend a dip in an ice bath. Peel outer layer and slice into medallions. In a oven safe pot, brown tops and bottoms of the medallions in a small amount of oil. Remove the medallions and set aside. In same pot state your favorite ratio of onions,carrots, celery and mushrooms. I throw in thyme, garlic, bay leaves and sometimes 3-4 crushed juniper berries. When the veggies get a little soft I throw some tomato paste in and stir to coat. Deglaze with a 1/2 of wine. Put the medallions in right on top of the veggies and add beef stock and wine until only the top third of the meat is poking out. Put the lid on and throw in 325 degree oven for at least 2 hours. I pull it and check fluid and tenderness around 1.5 hours. You will know. You can treat the braising liquid however you want to create the sauce for serving. Sometime all I do is pull the thyme sticks and bay leaves, throw the veggies in the blender with a little of the liquid and then mix it all back together.

When you practice shooting your bow practice from sitting and kneeling positions as well. You are likely to shoot from these positions in the field. You will see some archers raise their bow arm about 45 degrees to draw then lower the bow to be on target. It makes drawing easier but creates lots of unwanted movement. Try to hold the bow on target and draw straight back. It is a little harder but less likely reveal your position. Ideally you will draw when the animals head is down or looking away but you never know when they may look up or in your direction.

• Like 1

So Ive never hunted before but decided to take up bow hunting. Im hoping I can connect with some experienced hunters on here so that I can learn the ins and outs of hunting and how to be successful.

I currently have an entry level Bear cruzer and Im searching for a good hunting arrow to use. I also bought some camo along with a hunting pack and some decent nikon binoculars.

All advice is welcome for gear needed and wheres the best area to go to thats close to Tucson. Im thinking unit 33, tucson mountains and tortolitas.

Advice?

Hello Bonz78, I read an article about bow hunting tips for a newbie. You may check this.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to hunting this winter, I think I have most of what I need. By the way, Costco has come nice 34 degree base layers for $7 per pant and shirt. They also have some nice hiking socks for $7.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to hunting this winter, I think I have most of what I need. By the way, Costco has come nice 34 degree base layers for $7 per pant and shirt. They also have some nice hiking socks for $7.

It doesn't hurt to throw an extra pair in your backpack. I prefer to use socks made by SmartWool, pricey but they will last for years especially if you don't put them in the dryer and even if wet they will keep your feet warm.

If they do get wet you can take them off and hand wring them out and get about 80% of the water out and they retain their loft.

• Like 1

It doesn't hurt to throw an extra pair in your backpack. I prefer to use socks made by SmartWool, pricey but they will last for years especially if you don't put them in the dryer and even if wet they will keep your feet warm.

If they do get wet you can take them off and hand wring them out and get about 80% of the water out and they retain their loft.

Wool is the best stuff on the planet. I’ve used a couple different types of fancy pants big name base layer and now that stuff stays in the closet and I go out in merino wool.

Went on my first hunt of this winter season today. I saw around 7 whitetail does and possible one buck. The does were all in a valley chillin and eating while I saw one deer on high ground all alone. Would that deer be the buck? I couldn't make out any antlers because my binos are only 7x35 and I was probably around 600+ yards away. What kind of behavior do these bucks have while around does?