Sign in to follow this  
My Rights As An American

Carb on quad needs help

2005 arctic cat 500 trv. Fuel line not kinked. Float seems to be working just fine and it is really clean. Brand new in line filter between petcock and carb. Gravity feed fuel line and it is downward angled for flow. No kinks in line. Started right up this morning and runs fine for a few minutes then begins to clog up on the throttle after a few minutes. The electric choke seemed to come apart in two pieces so I stuck them back together and stuck it back in. Needle and spring separated from body. .???

I had an Arctic cat 03 400. Remove the filter. It is a gravity fed system. The filter is making a restriction. There is a screen in the tank. I installed a filter once thinking it would be a good idea. Would run great for a few miles then it would die. I was using more fuel that would gravity feed through the filter.

• Like 1

Still sounds like a float bowl issue, you might have bumped it when cleaning the jets. If it starts right up after it sits for 30mins, then dies, it sounds like fuel delivery. If the floats are out of adjustment, fuel might be just dripping into the bottom of the bowl taking a while to fill up the bowl, instead of a solid flow. It’s hard to explain but easiest way to describe how the float work is to remove the carb , remove the bowl, sit carb right side up, then blow air with your mouth into the fuel supply to carb, and manually pick up the float with your finger. The brass adjustment tab on the pivot point of the bowl can very easily be bent, causing your issue.

something else to try. try running it with your fuel cap off. i've had similar symptoms with a gravity fed system-the little rubber hose on top of the cap (tank vent) was kinked. after the fuel in the bowl was burned,it couldn't be refilled as quickly as it was burned because of the kink.

Check your jets!!!

Sounds like a similar problem I had with my quad when I got it. Previous owner had everything serviced on the quad including a carb cleaning at a shop. It would fire up no problem, but as soon as you would shift it into gear and start to roll it would die. It would get gas in the carb bowl but as soon you push throttle it would die because of lack of fuel. I took it apart and found out the shop had two of the jets in the wrong location. I switched those two and it ran perfect. Never had a problem since then.

Pulled the fuel tank and fully emptied again (third time). Pulled the petcock and cleaned both filters twice. Cleaned petcock internals. Replaced fuel lines and filter to sparkling new. Cleaned all three jets thoroughly and can see through them no problem. Pulled main jet twice and cleaned thoroughly. Reset needle to sit nicely when closed and open when float allows. Electric choke broke so I am replacing with manual choke as the electric chokes are notorious for going bad on these. I think the needle and float valve are ok. Getting new manual choke Saturday and will install, fill with gas and try again. If that does not immediately resolve the problems fully, I am without a quad for the hunt. Too much energy to get this darn thing to run to not be able to trust it in the mountains. My hunting luck has been poor since I fell off the mountain and broke my leg. Cannot trust a faulty quad if needed.

Thanks, that is an amazing offer. I am deathly afraid to borrow from others for fear of breaking something. But I may take you up on the offer to possibly look at it if all of this does not work! Could definitely use some expertise on how to ensure the float and needle are correct. I am getting great at pulling the carb in less than five minutes! :(

• Like 1

Pulled the fuel tank and fully emptied again (third time). Pulled the petcock and cleaned both filters twice. Cleaned petcock internals. Replaced fuel lines and filter to sparkling new. Cleaned all three jets thoroughly and can see through them no problem. Pulled main jet twice and cleaned thoroughly. Reset needle to sit nicely when closed and open when float allows. Electric choke broke so I am replacing with manual choke as the electric chokes are notorious for going bad on these. I think the needle and float valve are ok. Getting new manual choke Saturday and will install, fill with gas and try again. If that does not immediately resolve the problems fully, I am without a quad for the hunt. Too much energy to get this darn thing to run to not be able to trust it in the mountains. My hunting luck has been poor since I fell off the mountain and broke my leg. Cannot trust a faulty quad if needed.

Too bad that ATV shop isn't on Country Club any more.

There is a vacuum pulse fuel pump. I believe it is mounted under the seat. It is about 2" round, fairly flat, black. If you replaced all the fuel line, you should have seen it. I replaced mine once, thinking it was the problem. Didn't fix it so I had to rebuild the carb due to bad gas. Now I have an extra. Mine is a 2005 500 IFS. PM me your email address and I will send you that section. I couldn't attach it to this post because it is a 8.6M file. Here is a snip of the diagram. The pump is #9.

post-2983-0-14538000-1508961152_thumb.jpg

Btw - I'm sure you already know...Bass Pro is a AC dealer and repair shop. That's where I get my parts.

Thanks, that diagram is different than my model but I will download the correct one from your link. Thanks, finally got it to run after adjusting the needle and float again, pulling the filter and making the fuel go straight from the tank to the carb and replacing the electric choke with the manual after markets model. Running very rough though. Not sure I have the choke set correctly. ,any need to look into it. Thanks again!