Sign in to follow this  
mhenry13

bowhunting NM27 beginning of January

I'm just looking for any information on NM unit 27. I'm 4hrs away in Las Cruces. So i won't get out there till the week of. Is there access on the NM side to the Coronado national forest? Any information on unit 27 would be greatly appreciated.

PM sent.

Sorry, I did not see this until today.  Hopes this helps.

All of the whitetails in 27 are south of NM Highway 9. The closer you are to the Mexican border, the denser the populations become, but that is all relative as there are plenty everywhere in the mountains south of Hwy 9. The problem with the northern part is that virtually all of the public land is landlocked by private land. That puts most of the hunting pressure on the Peloncillo Unit of the Coronado National Forest. 

The only public land access to the Forest is via the Geronimo Trail and via a very convoluted access route at the end of County Road 1 at Cloverdale.

However, it can be accessed through the Sycamore Canyon Ranch on the Arizona side. With the rancher's permission, you can take a two-track to within half a mile of the New Mexico state line and hike in from there to camp and/or hunt. The best hunting there is to the south all the way to Bunk Robinson Peak. 

On the New Mexico side, most people camp at Blair Well or Black Dam. If you take the forest road south from that area, it dead-ends about five or six miles north of border at a stock tank. You can park there and hike west and south into some pretty good Coues habitat. It's a ways over to Bunk Robinson, but you can hunt all the way. 

If you have a good GPS with an app that shows public and private land, you can hike north from Blair Well and work your way around the private land at Whitmire Draw and get to the head of Skeleton Canyon which always has whitetails, as well as mule deer. Not many people bother to do this, but almost everyone that has gone in that way at my suggestion has killed deer.

That's a good start, Get a Coronado NF map and take a look at it. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Ben

• Like 1