gregaz

New Semi-lightweight build

Wanted to get something light weight yet accurate. Picked up a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 Creedmoor, SeanP at SportOpic hooked me up with a great deal on a NF SHV 5-20x56. Threw on a Seekins Precision 20 MOA base with rings. Rifle all together weighed 8 lbs 11 oz's. Thanks to LanceTKenyon for mounting the scope. Started barrel break in today. Didn't really think it was necessary, I am just anal. Shot good with the Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELDX, but shot great with HSM Trophy Gold VLD Hunting. (Pic Below). Cant wait to get this baby dialed in and get something in my crosshairs.

post-3779-0-89035700-1509413487_thumb.jpg

post-3779-0-30521300-1509413689_thumb.jpg

post-3779-0-64966700-1509413780_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I think that is about as light as you can get with scope and all. I,m looking to do a lightweight also.

Nice shooting

I think that is about as light as you can get with scope and all. I,m looking to do a lightweight also.

You can go lighter but you get to compromise. I've got a 700 that is 7 lb 8 oz field ready. I use an NSX compact 2.5-10x42 that is probably about 8 oz lighter. I also have a 20 in number 1 Barrel. Lightweight was my priority when I built it. At 8 lb 11 oz and shooting groups like pictured above that rifle is one sweet package. And I just got done telling myself I wasn't going to build another rifle......
  • Like 1

You can go lighter but you get to compromise. I've got a 700 that is 7 lb 8 oz field ready. I use an NSX compact 2.5-10x42 that is probably about 8 oz lighter. I also have a 20 in number 1 Barrel. Lightweight was my priority when I built it. At 8 lb 11 oz and shooting groups like pictured above that rifle is one sweet package. And I just got done telling myself I wasn't going to build another rifle......

My .280AI was built to MY "lightweight" specs. 8lbs 15oz all in. Plenty light to carry, but still has enough mass to shoot well fairly easily. I could have gone lighter, but I was not really interested in a featherweight. I put some heavy bullets downrange at a high rate of speed, and recoil isn't bad with the Hawkins muzzle brake. I personally think 8-9# is a perfect carry weight hunting rifle.

• Like 1

Added Triad tactical stock pack and Accuracy1st anti cant level. Finished up with barrel break in and stretched it out to 300 on steel. Can't believe this factory HSM ammo. Group is photo is at 200 yds using Ballistic AE APP.

post-3779-0-78888100-1511130719_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My .280AI was built to MY "lightweight" specs. 8lbs 15oz all in. Plenty light to carry, but still has enough mass to shoot well fairly easily. I could have gone lighter, but I was not really interested in a featherweight. I put some heavy bullets downrange at a high rate of speed, and recoil isn't bad with the Hawkins muzzle brake. I personally think 8-9# is a perfect carry weight hunting rifle.

I suppose featherweight is a fair description of my rifle. I set out to go as light as possible and still mount a decent scope (thanks again for all the input on the scope). It is not a rifle I would carry on every hunt, but when I choose to carry it I love it. It really helps lighten my load when I am going to hunt in a more mobile style. With an ankle that is screwed and plated together every pound can really make a difference. That said, a rifle in the weight range the OP and yourself built does seem very appealing.