Sign in to follow this  
no worries

270 WSM opinions

Not sure about TIkkas (besides their good reputation) but my Winchester M70, stock (1 in 10 twist, 24" barrel), shoots factory ammo sub-MOA. Nosler ammo (140 gr ABs) right at 3,000 fps, HSM with 130 gr Berger VLDs at 3,200 fps and Federal ammo with 130 gr Nosler BTs at 3,300 fps all shoot right at 0.75 MOA out to 300 yards (the farthest I've shot it). Mine hates the Winchester Accubond CT loads, but I've never had a rifle that liked that ammo. If I ever decided to reload for it I think I could have a lot of fun with hit. It's not a perfect caliber but it outperforms .270 Win enough to make it worthwhile, and for me at least the difference in recoil isn't noticeable. IMO it's an excellent deer rifle and with the right load a fine backup rifle for elk hunting probably out to 400-500 yards or so. I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one.

Note that I'm a big fan of .270 Win, so I'm not knocking that caliber at all...

I have an early 50's Model 70 I bought years ago but never shoot it. Maybe I should rebarrel it since I have another 243 I shoot more.

It seems to me that Model 70s are a little out-of-favor these days among serious shooters (at least compared to the Remington 700), and theyve had a somewhat strange and inconsistent history over the last 40 years or so. All I know is I own three of them, all stock (although one has been bedded) and the worst of them consistently shoots factory ammo at 1 MOA. Id bet with a little work yours could be a gun youd love. Especially since at that age I suspect it has some history behind it.

Had a Tikka .270 WSM Whitetail and liked it. A Simms butt pad make it a pleasure to shoot. Sold it and bought a Winchester model 70 Coyote Outback.

post-736-0-17002600-1510951646_thumb.jpg

Bummer about the deal falling through. I had a Tikka T3 stainless lite in the 270 WSM with a muzzle break on it. Crazy fast, accurate, flat shooting rifle. My dad shot a couse with it at 700 yards with one shot and never gave it back.

• Like 1