Sign in to follow this  
stoney4325

First a muzzleloader

This was my first hunt with a muzzle loader. I shot a little 2x2 at 75 yards after seeing the same 4 spikes come in for 3 days. I used 100 grains of Hodgdon Triple 7 pellets and TC 250 grain spire point. I hit him quartering away right in the shoulder, exiting above the back side shoulder (ended up taking out the top of the lungs). When i shot and the smoke kinda cleared, i saw him kick up the back legs as if i gut shot him. when i went to where he was when i shot, all i found was a little bit of hair, no blood or anything. I was freaking out. I couldn't figure out if i just creased him or what. I thought a 50cal would be bang flop. It was getting dark so i decided to pack up and leave and look in the morning. Something (dad) told me to look again before i left. I ended up finding him 40 yards away. After i found him i back tracked to where i shot him but didn't find any blood. I talked to a buddy and he said he's heard of this a lot with muzzle loaders, no blood trail. Is this common? Am I using the wrong bullet? I went to a big box today and saw hollow points, would that be a better option? Sorry, i can't edit the title, i changed it 3 times before posting and still got it wrong.

thx

• Like 1

Yep, that's pretty much it, some go 80-100yds with double lung shots. some of the trauma with caused by a high power rifle bullet is from the vacuum behind the bullet, they also tend to open up violently. Your combo is probably only pushing 1800fps, so about half of most high power cartridges and looses that speed a lot faster due to bullet profile and frontal diameter aka ballistic coefficient. Best option is to shoot for bone, break the shoulders...just my 2 cents

• Like 1

Everything we have ever killed with a muzzle loader has bled just fine. We use the Hornady sst(I think this is right I would have to look at the box when I get home) 50 caliber.

my muzz coues from a couple weeks back I kit in the lungs and it destroyed the inside, ran about 30 yards out of view and died. There were about 2-3 drops less than the size of tic tacs that I found where i shot him. Needless to say i was nervous but worked out fine. my bullet didn't exit him though.

I use 200 grain Hornady SST for deer and 250's for elk. I shot many deer using 240 grain Hornady XTP's and they bled from the moment hit and only one dropped out of sight. He was running when I shot him so he went about 100 yards. Those heavy bullets probably didn't expand and it was like using a FMJ bullet.

• Like 1

Ive killed numerous deer with muzzleloader, the number one trick to great blood trails is the bullet.

(And of course shot location on critter)

With that said nothing beats a Barnes 250 grain MZ period!

• Like 1

Ive killed numerous deer with muzzleloader, the number one trick to great blood trails is the bullet.

(And of course shot location on critter)

With that said nothing beats a Barnes 250 grain MZ period!

Yep, Barnes is the ticket... Moose, Elk, Mule Deer and Antelope.. They all look like this with razor sharp peddles....

post-14553-0-99507500-1516730423_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The performance on the Barnes bullets pictured is nice but also reveals that the shot remained in the animal. If we are strictly talking about blood trails, or the lack thereof, you'd want an exit hole too. There are many conicals as well as bullet/sabot combos that will be able to provide an exit under most circumstances. Typically, a medium velocity non hollow point projectile will have excellent penetration. Heavy lead conicals like No Excuse, Bull Shop, PR, Maxi-Ball (the heavier ones) are in this catagory and like 1300-1800 fps in my experience. Faster velocity can change the bullet severely and limit penetration. The same goes for SST and other copper jacketed lead core bullets. More velocity usually = more bullet disruption and less penetration. Barnes, Thor and those homogenous bullet don't necessary come apart, but the quicker it expands and the more it expands the more penetration will be retarded. There's a huge amount of variables, so similar shots on similar animals with the same projectile will yield different results sometimes. If you want blood trails you need to hedge your bets on something that more often than not will pass through. Most manufacturers of expanding bullets will be able to provide the velocity range where they are supposed to perform (expand). The lower end of that range is where the projectile is most likely to penetrate more. Good luck and nice deer!

Thanks for all the replies, i'll take a look at those other bullets. Here's a pic , mine is the little one :D . The mule deer is the one my son shot. 20171102_0822331.jpg

This dang kids always topping us. 😡

😂😂😂