Sign in to follow this  
Coues&Coyotes

Double Down!

Well just over a year ago, my daughter Brittany got married. Brittany has grown up hunting and has been pretty sucessful over the years with both archery as well as with a rifle. Now her new husband Jacob has never hunted before but all that I have ever ask for is that my daughters find guys that treat them well.

Jacob knew early on Brittany's passion for hunting so when it was time to put in for deer, Jacob said that he wanted to give it a try and share the experience with us. Even before we found out the draw results we started looking for a rifle for Jacob. Just so happened that CouseWhitetail.com member justinhamblin had a 30-06 for sale. After a seamless transaction with Justin, Jacob had his new rifle.

After some experimenting with different factory rounds, we found a brand that the rifle really liked and Jacob started shoot awesome out to 400 yards.

Fast forward to this past weekend. Due to work, Jacob could only hunt thru Sunday. Obviously we are always looking to harvest the largest bucks we can find but Jacob said that he wasn't picky and would be happy to try to take a spike if the opportunity presented itself. After only seeing does and spikes that were way out of range both Friday and Saturday, it was time to switch the game plan. We started the 2.5 mile hike early Sunday morning and just as the sun the coming up, we were looking in the canyon we wanted to hunt. It wasn't long before Brittany spotted a deer and before you know it we were looking at 3 bucks, 1 spike, 1 2x2 and a 2x3. Both Britt and Jacob got set up and I ranged the deer at 245 yards. Britt's shot was on and I watched the 2x3 go about 15yards and pile up. Jacob immeditely got on the 2x2 as it walked over to Brittany's down deer and with one shot, the buck dropped in his tracks and Jacob had his first big game animal.

I really appreciate Jacob for giving hunting a chance and I do believe he is hooked now.

post-2383-0-45515000-1509755995_thumb.jpg
  • Like 19

That is totally freaking awesome!!!!! Good for you for getting her out in the field and adding Jacob to the hunting family.... great job by you. Congrats to the young couple on coues bucks.

That's awesome congrats to them both, I can totally relate I'm in the same boat with my wife. Still trying to get her a tag but staying hopeful. Just pray we get to go before she looses interest. Glad they were able to have a good time and have a successful hunt.

Nice! Congrats to all on your bucks!

• Like 1

What? You let your daughter marry a non hunter?

Good thing he was trainable. LOL

Congrats on his first buck. Looks like she has bragging rights until next year!!