Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Wood Working Question???

Working on a project using some reclaimed lumber! It has some big cracks in it but is still really solid!

Anybody have any experience filling these in with an adhesive that is weather durable?

Looking to try and make it less weather susceptible by filling in the cracks!

post-2034-0-03539600-1510169673_thumb.jpg

post-2034-0-63905900-1510169688_thumb.jpg

I did a top for the kitchen island using reclaimed wood just recently and filled the cracks with Rock Hard. Rock hard does not take stain well though. In my case it was being stained white and then sealed so it didn't matter.

Use a two part epoxy. And some black or gray dye to match. On one side tape it off so that it will not leak through. I use painter tape. Any exceed that fills above the cracks just sand it off.

After you cut the wood to size, mix the saw dust with glue, fill and clamp (even if only a little) it'll fill nicely and take a stain better than fillers or epoxies.

• Like 1

Guest akaspecials

I used to paint residential exteriors and we would never fill cracks like that. It is easier to replace with new wood than to make large cracks look aesthetically pleasing. You could also spend near as much on a new piece of wood if you have to buy a gallon of filler for each board.

If you aren't worried about how it looks and you don't have too much to fill, I agree with the guys above. Use a 2 part wood epoxy or wood glue mixed with saw dust. Sand and paint.

I used to paint residential exteriors and we would never fill cracks like that. It is easier to replace with new wood than to make large cracks look aesthetically pleasing. You could also spend near as much on a new piece of wood if you have to buy a gallon of filler for each board.

If you aren't worried about how it looks and you don't have too much to fill, I agree with the guys above. Use a 2 part wood epoxy or wood glue mixed with saw dust. Sand and paint.

I agree on all counts......was looking for the "aesthetically" pleasing look :rolleyes: !

More than likely will just leave it as is and replace it in 30 years if I'm still around!!!

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate the input!!!

Those are large pieces of lumber. If it was my project I would not fill those in they add character. I would get some aresol cans of clear urethane and spray the cracks and attempt to seal it as best as you can. For the top there used to be bar top sealer that put a thick coating on but I haven’t done a lot of wood work for 15 years

• Like 1

Have been a woodworker most of my life. Once wood starts to crack, it usually continues to do so. Back in the day, we would use black epoxy to fill cracks, voids, and knots, when using darker woods like Mesquite. You can use clear epoxy or fillers on lighter woods. Sand flush when dried. Barn wood is more difficult, because sanding can remove the aged appearance.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, that if you want to stop a crack from spreading, you can drill a small 1/8" hole just in front of the crack. Not esthetically pleasing, but it works. Put a dab of filler in the hole.

• Like 1