Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Hunting Motivation FUNK!!

When it is MY tag, I don't mind hunting solo for a week. Nice to get back to camp, make dinner, read a book, fall asleep early. Get up at 3:00am and do it again. Hunt as hard as you like. No one their to complain. Want to take a nap midday? Do it.

Multiple hunters? Nice for some company if they are like minded. Miserable if they are not

But I also really enjoy helping on family hunts when I don't have the tag. I think some of my family doesn't necessarily like it when I am there however. I push them pretty hard at times. Taylor is usually game for just about anything as long as she can sleep in the truck when moving place to place or heading out/back to camp.

• Like 4

I would have it just me and a friend or another family member. like others have said here you can focus on the hunt more (more hunting =success kill or no kill) if im away from my family i want to make sure i get it done or died trying and not just out there doing nothing

Deer camps have evolved over the years. More and more they are small towns with lots of activities other than hunting. If your serious about hunting then go by yourself or with another serious hunter. If you want a hunting party then join the crowd. The serious guys will get the most and bigger deer. It is a free country so far, you are okay to do either, whatever turns you on. I would just appreciate it if you party hunters could turn the volume down a little bit. And maybe have your quad races and AR practice on another weekend. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

It is usually just me & my dad in camp & we always have things to talk about. We enjoy camping as much as the hunting!

We usually stay in the field all day & get back after dark. We make dinner, sit by the fire, have a few beers & hit the sack.

• Like 2

I echo greyghosts comment, plus I would say I use scouting trips and duck hunting to get the camaraderie out of my system. Nowadays at least, a big game hunt is get back to camp, eat, sleep, and have no regrets that you could have hunted harder.

• Like 1

I just got back from my deer hunt. Started out with 2 other hunters in camp. Chris, my hunting partner of 30 years, and Joe, a veteran we guided for Hunts for Heroes. Joe was so much fun to have around we invited him to apply for deer with us. Chris had to leave Sunday afternoon, Joe left Tuesday morning and I stayed till Thursday by myself. With other people there or by myself I'm fine. I have done 10 day hunts solo. I guess I am more concerned about hunting than needing company. Well, until I put a bullet or arrow in something, then company is very welcome.

You did say it was a unit down south didn't you? There is plenty of company available. Just pack extra burgers and dogs and invite a group of illegals for dinner.

• Like 2

The worst day of hunting is better than the best day at work.

Yea, I used to say that to. Breaking an ankle on a solo hunt while packing out an antelope and having to crawl a mile in the dark just to get to camp where there was still no cell coverage changed my mind. I have had a few days at work that were a little better than that.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments! 300 Rum I couldn't do a 10 day solo! Hunting hard is no prob! We hiked in an hour and half before sunrise and had to turn back once I was on my last liter of water. (we had to climb a big ole hill after a good 80" buck) When your partner wants and likes heading back to camp it throws to much down time in for me! Usually when that happens I eat lunch and jump in the rhino and go glassing by myself, and come back and pick up my brother for the late even hunts. Im not a good napper, nor am I really good at falling asleep right after dinner. I usually have to take a tylonal PM to help put me down when I camp. But a good idea is maybe do alot more hunting by myself and when I have another hunter with me it should be a party! Besides all this and what I usually am used to, I just wasn't filling either. Couple of things I realized! I usually pump myself up for hunts and read CW everyday getting excited, which I didn't do. I usually work on loads and shooting every weekend, which I also didn't do! Plus staring at google earth and e scouting other areas, which I didn't do! I think a classic sport player not having their head in the game put a funk in my hunt

• Like 1

I never hunted much growing up, just twice with my dad. When I moved to the great state of Arizona I got the bug. Started out solo and was very green. Managed to get a spike. One of the guys I worked with was from Michigan and we started hunting together and he taught me a lot, back in the mid 80's.

We hunted mostly predators and honed our skills shooting High Power Silhouette. In the off season we would go to Congress and shoot jacks. Back in the day we would hunt 29 every year when tags were guarnteed and stay for a week or 10 days. Then he moved and I went back to hunting solo. When my kids were born I would take them and my son became my hunting buddy for big game until last year when he had a series of heart attacks, about 8 in one night and then another one three weeks later. We still bird hunt be he can't do hill anymore so I'm back to solo. I always see to do better when hunting solo but my eyes aren't so good at spotting to pick out deer, even with 15's. I don't mind camping by myself but it sure is good to have people back in camp at the end of the day to talk to. Sorry for being so long winded. Had a major screw up today and drove to 36A from Mesa and forgot to toss that 50# Kodiak in the truck so I came back after hunting all day. Only saw some doe's but I'm headed back in the morning and coming back Wednesday evening. I enjoy the beauty and solace.

• Like 2

Zeke, we need to talk about your flair...haha

Why don't you just post what unit your hunting and ask if anyone in here wants company in there camp. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

I never hunted much growing up, just twice with my dad. When I moved to the great state of Arizona I got the bug. Started out solo and was very green. Managed to get a spike. One of the guys I worked with was from Michigan and we started hunting together and he taught me a lot, back in the mid 80's.

We hunted mostly predators and honed our skills shooting High Power Silhouette. In the off season we would go to Congress and shoot jacks. Back in the day we would hunt 29 every year when tags were guarnteed and stay for a week or 10 days. Then he moved and I went back to hunting solo. When my kids were born I would take them and my son became my hunting buddy for big game until last year when he had a series of heart attacks, about 8 in one night and then another one three weeks later. We still bird hunt be he can't do hill anymore so I'm back to solo. I always see to do better when hunting solo but my eyes aren't so good at spotting to pick out deer, even with 15's. I don't mind camping by myself but it sure is good to have people back in camp at the end of the day to talk to. Sorry for being so long winded. Had a major screw up today and drove to 36A from Mesa and forgot to toss that 50# Kodiak in the truck so I came back after hunting all day. Only saw some doe's but I'm headed back in the morning and coming back Wednesday evening. I enjoy the beauty and solace.

36 A is a fun unit! I archery that unit alot and it was my first unit when I shot a deer

My hunts in Wyoming this year taught me just how miserable it can be hunting with people that are not like-minded. My normal hunting buddy brought his son-in-law and I can tell you that will NEVER happen again. I'd rather hunt completely solo than deal with that sh!t ever again. Needless to say, son-in-law is not invited back. BS'ing around camp with good buddies is definitely enjoyable, but not my primary reason for being out there. I have an early December tag in 24B and as of now, I plan on backpacking in for my first completely solo hunt. I have not hunted the unit and unfortunately, work is crazy right now, so not sure how much time I will have to scout. I am not gonna let the lack of scouting or a good hunting buddy stop me though; for me, it will be about the experience I will take from being in the beautiful outdoors this state has to offer. I say go for it and good luck on your hunt.

Also, maybe post your hunt dates. Maybe you'll find some folks that are either hunting the unit or would be willing to head down with you.

I have hunted solo a lot. I like it. Gives a man some time to find out a lot about himself and clear your mind. Something about not talking for a week and not listening to anyone elses problems does wonders for me in figuring out my own problems.

• Like 2

The worst day of hunting is better than the best day at work.

Yea, I used to say that to. Breaking an ankle on a solo hunt while packing out an antelope and having to crawl a mile in the dark just to get to camp where there was still no cell coverage changed my mind. I have had a few days at work that were a little better than that.

But I bet the story of those few days at work arent told near as often as the story about your antelope hunt.

• Like 1