Sign in to follow this  
ofdscooby

Watch those replaceable blades knives

Quit gutting them then

You are dead on with that one. With the gutless method your hands and the knife are in sight. There is a lot less chance of screwing up when you can see what you're doing.

For anybody wanting high quality cut-resistant gloves companies like Grainger will carry them. They are commonly worn by employees working around sharp blades in Industrial applications. Some of them can get pretty exotic. At one time I did some independent Contracting for a company that did a lot of ballistic armor work. The guys who operated the saw that cut the sheets of Spectra or Kevlar wore gloves that were made out of fine interlocking stainless steel links, kind of like medieval chainmail armor.

I sold my replaceable blade knife, they have no back bone so you cant feel what the knife is doing or where the blade is.

I use my Havalon or outdoor edge for trimming only. I have a nice buck knife for gutting & skinning.

I sold my replaceable blade knife, they have no back bone so you cant feel what the knife is doing or where the blade is.

Great analogy. I have been trying to put my finger on it to explain that to other people.

Great analogy. I have been trying to put my finger on it to explain that to other people.

Thats why I went from havalon to outdoor edge. Outdoor edge feels like a regular knife

• Like 2

Thats why I went from havalon to outdoor edge. Outdoor edge feels like a regular knife

I have and use both. For my son's taxidermy euro business. he uses Havalon because the are razor sharp, about 1/4 the price to buy in bulk, and are fantastic for caping skulls. In the field I pack the Outdoor Edge for the reasons you mention.

The outdoor edge blades IME, dull 3x faster. I use them simply because of the much easier and safer blade changing....

• Like 1

I completely agree with Greg. The Outdoor edge knife blades dull much faster than the Havelon, but have a much easier blade removal.

• Like 1

Recently I wanted to I do a euro mount for my wife and all I had was a used outdoor edge knife that was pretty dull. I tried running it over a steele and was really surprised how well it sharpened back up and lasted.

Recently I wanted to I do a euro mount for my wife and all I had was a used outdoor edge knife that was pretty dull. I tried running it over a steele and was really surprised how well it sharpened back up and lasted.

I sharpen them (Outdoor edge blades) quite often. Sometimes I think they are sharper after I run them over my sharpening/buffing wheel than they were originally.