Sign in to follow this  
azcouesandelk

Can't Believe It's Been 10 Years

Going into the draw this year we decided to apply for some premium tags without success. With no success in the draw we went after some leftover tags and were lucky enough to draw our 5th choice. With all our friends having tags for other hunts or not being able to make it down this was going to be the first time since 2007 that it would be just my dad and myself on a deer hunt! We knew the odds were against us since we had not hunted this unit for deer before and the last time we had hunted this particular area was 18 years ago for javelina, but we mainly wanted to spend the time in the field together and if successful it would be an added bonus.

We got down and setup camp Thursday midday and were able to get out for an afternoon of glassing. Due to my elk tag this year I had no vacation time left so we only had the afternoon before the hunt to scout. We setup and were fortunate enough to find a group of 4 bucks way up a canyon. We had a plan for opening morning and were anxious to get out there and see what we could turn up.

Opening morning we setup overlooking a couple of big canyons hoping to find the bucks from the night before. We glassed for several hours turning up some does when we finally found our first buck around 930. We continued to glass finding more deer and several more small bucks. We saw that the first buck we found had bedded down near the ridgeline at 725 yards. With near perfect conditions we set my dad up for the shot. I watched as the bullet hit the buck hard, he only made it 25 yards before expiring.

post-322-0-65932900-1510889352_thumb.jpg

Day 2 we decided to glass a new area that had a some amazing looking northern slopes and a massive canyon. We glassed for a couple of hours without finding a doe. At this point we talked it over and decided to go back to where my dad harvested his buck and spend the rest of the day there. We made it to the point around 10 and within 5 minutes I had 3 bucks found. We dropped off the hill and setup at 380 yards. The rest is history as we were able to make it 2 for 2 in 2 days.

post-322-0-34585000-1510889290_thumb.jpg

This was an amazing hunt and I can promise that it will not be 10 more years before me and the old man have another hunt with just the 2 of us again.

• Like 19

Congrats on a couple great bucks. I was going to message you but got too busy. I was down south this last week and was going to see if you were in the same unit.

Congrats thats awesome

Very nice indeed!