goinhuntn

Late rifle who's getting ready?

Hoping to get my first elk in 5B. After my brother missing a muley on our deer hunt and not another to be found, really hoping to get some meat in the freezer!

• Like 1

My wife and Bub have the 7W late rifle bull. Hopefully one of them will get meat in our freezer.

So, I have the 7 late elk hunt as well, and I'm jumping through hurdles trying to get everything ready for this hunt. There has to be a Murphy's Law for a bull elk hunt. For those interested in a list, keep reading.

Unlike the boys youth doe hunt on the Kaibab, I opened the tag for the bull elk and it was indeed a bull elk. F&G sent the boys duplicate elk tags instead of 2 elk and 2 doe. I had to run down to Sportsmans on the Friday the hunt started and get duplicate tags by signing an affidavit- F&G were observing Veterans Day and were closed. (And it was thanks to this site that I googled the solution- it was here. *isnt everything*)

I ordered new sheepherder stove pipes, because ours blew a seam on hunt last month and filled the tent with smoke. (Added a carbon monoxide alarm to the list). UPS lost the package this morning, and I opened an investigation. Cabelas and Basspro are both out- if this box is lost I don't have pipes for this stove and it's going to get cooooold.

I ordered a Wiggys Ultima Thule sleeping bag, and was told they had to make it. Jerry (the owner) put a rush on it and shipped it out when I told him it was for Elk next week. (Fantastic company and service!!)

My chainsaw died- (Never buy Ryobi) and I took it back to Home Depot 11 months later and bought something bigger. And a new chain.

Trailer lights blew- no idea. I'll start with the fuses in the truck.

Water pump busted on the 35 gallon drum- cheap fix but still yet another thing to Amazon.

The Savage 300 win mag. The screw to hold the trigger guard to the stock stripped the plastic. They ... sent me a wrong screw as a solution. Tried to call, was on hold for 30 mins when I just decided to email them. I requested a place in Phoenix to bring it in to if that was an option because another exact screw isn't the solution.

I did buy the Cooper STT Mud Terrains for the F250 to be proactive in case a storm actually hits, but it looks like it's going to be dry for the most part. The Yukon has Goodyear Kevlar MT's so I should be good, but the 4wd is busted. (Needs a new transfer case)

Sharpened the Ken Onion skinner- hoping I get to use it.

Im sure as the date comes closer, I'll find out more crap that broke or needs to be replaced or lost or whatever.

We're going up two days early to get ready.

Oh, and the Big Buddy Mr. Heater is flaming out. Thing is pretty fickle. I have to either get it cleaned up or replaced.

Sounds like you're Mr. Murphy's chew toy.

• Like 2

So, I have the 7 late elk hunt as well, and I'm jumping through hurdles trying to get everything ready for this hunt. There has to be a Murphy's Law for a bull elk hunt. For those interested in a list, keep reading.

Unlike the boys youth doe hunt on the Kaibab, I opened the tag for the bull elk and it was indeed a bull elk. F&G sent the boys duplicate elk tags instead of 2 elk and 2 doe. I had to run down to Sportsmans on the Friday the hunt started and get duplicate tags by signing an affidavit- F&G were observing Veterans Day and were closed. (And it was thanks to this site that I googled the solution- it was here. *isnt everything*)

I ordered new sheepherder stove pipes, because ours blew a seam on hunt last month and filled the tent with smoke. (Added a carbon monoxide alarm to the list). UPS lost the package this morning, and I opened an investigation. Cabelas and Basspro are both out- if this box is lost I don't have pipes for this stove and it's going to get cooooold.

I ordered a Wiggys Ultima Thule sleeping bag, and was told they had to make it. Jerry (the owner) put a rush on it and shipped it out when I told him it was for Elk next week. (Fantastic company and service!!)

My chainsaw died- (Never buy Ryobi) and I took it back to Home Depot 11 months later and bought something bigger. And a new chain.

Water pump busted on the 35 gallon drum- cheap fix but still yet another thing to Amazon.

The Savage 300 win mag. The screw to hold the trigger guard to the stock stripped the plastic. They ... sent me a wrong screw as a solution. Tried to call, was on hold for 30 mins when I just decided to email them. I requested a place in Phoenix to bring it in to if that was an option because another exact screw isn't the solution.

I did buy the Cooper STT Mud Terrains for the F250 to be proactive in case a storm actually hits, but it looks like it's going to be dry for the most part. The Yukon has Goodyear Kevlar MT's so I should be good, but the 4wd is busted. (Needs a new transfer case)

Im sure as the date comes closer, I'll find out more crap that broke or needs to be replaced or lost or whatever.

Oh, and the Big Buddy Mr. Heater is flaming out. Thing is pretty fickle. I have to either get it cleaned up or replaced.

With a list like that you need to add several cases of beer to your checklist LOL. I check my gear all year long to make its ready to go for my hunts & there is always something that goes sideways right before I'm ready to leave. It will all work itself out for you good luck!!

returning a chainsaw after a year?

11 months. They gave me store credit.

I bought a Paulen instead. Home Depot has a lax return policy.

11 months. They gave me store credit.

I bought a Paulen instead. Home Depot has a lax return policy.

I had the opportunity once to ask a Hot Shot crew what brand of chainsaw they recommended. The unanimous answer was Sthil. These are guys that definitely do not have time to put up with a junk chainsaw.

• Like 1

I think Ill keep the cheapo as a backup and get a Stihl or a Husqvarna as the primary.. yeah heard great things. All those Alaskan shows on Netflix? All use Stihl.

• Like 1

Cal- Ranch in Flag has a Stihl 16 inch for $179. Nice and light, perfect for camp or carrying in truck to move fallen trees. Not sure if the one in the valley has same price.