Sign in to follow this  
IHunt2live

OLD buck

I went into this hunt a little more relaxed then i usual do, doesn't mean I didn't work/hike like crazy, but if I shot one great if I didn't who cares.

Started off trying to get my wife a deer while she was 7 months pregnant. We tried moving in on a great buck but for some reason he slipped out before we could get into position leaving 2 smaller bucks behind. She was happy with one of the smaller ones and given her condition she filled her tag.

Next came my brothers deer. He brought his 9 year old son along for the hunt which was kind of a new experience for me making sure he had a good time. He passed on a buck I figured was in the 90 inch range, which i gave him a hard time for. A few days later we went back and found the same buck and he decided to take it this time. it scored 95 inches. Sorry no pics.

I had two days left on my own to take a deer. I went into some steep country I wanted to check out but hadn't being concerned about my nephew. It was about 2 miles in and about 1500 foot climb. I glassed up a decent 3x3 but I just kept looking. After a while I looked back at the buck when I caught a quick glimpse of this buck as he switched beds. I wasn't sure what he was but I had planed on switching glassing locations anyway that would take me closer for a better look. After getting to a closer vantage point I quickly picked up the smaller buck. after about 30min more of glassing I finally caught a glimpse of a deer through the trees. What gave him away was the movement of his jaw as he chewed his cud. I wasn't able to see his antlers but after watching him for a bit he got up and switched beds giving me a little better look. After studying him a bit I decided he was good for a second to last day buck. I had lots of time to set up prone. I knew this 400 yard shot would be a chip shot after all the practice out to 1000 yards. The wind was strange as it would gust 40-50mph then stop to just about nothing so i just needed to wait for it to calm down. I was also able to take the time and get it on video, I should have taken more time to get it in better focus but it was still cool.

post-1770-0-93905200-1511139513_thumb.jpg

I was hoping for a least a mature buck and I would say I accomplished that. Its by far the oldest buck I've taken, his time was limited.

post-1770-0-48222000-1511139631_thumb.jpg

IMG_5819.MOV

• Like 15

Nice to see a seasoned professional at work. Congrats!

His teeth actually look worse than mine.

Nice work. Any idea how old this deer is?

His teeth actually look worse than mine.

Nice work. Any idea how old this deer is?

Once a deer gets to the 8+ year old the variation makes it near impossible to know for sure. That being said I would guess he closer to the 12 year old range.