easymoney

coues scent??

Ive seen Wayne Carltons "Western Whitetail," dunno if it works or not but thats the closest thing ive seen

We tried some whitetail doe in estruss during our december hunt last year. The deer were rutting like crazy, but they never really paid much attention to the spots that we put the scent.

It was colder than H - E - double hockey sticks, so theres a chance the stuff just froze and didnt put out a lot of smell.

But, I think things like that are always worth a try, it only has to work once.

MY DAD IS GOING ARCHERY DEER AND I WILL BE GOING TO HELP CALL AND SPOT FOR HIM AND WE WILL BE TRYING TINKS 69 DOE. WILL LET YOU KNOW IF IT WORKS AND IF ALL THE OTHER TACTICS WORK ALSO. ( DECOY, RATTLE BAG, GRUNT CALL )

CLAY

I have had quite a bit of success with the "Wildlife Research Center" scents. Particularly the "Active Scrape", "Trails End #307", and "Doe Estrus". I have also had success with a grunt call. It is hit and miss with a rattle bag, but I have had them run in on occasion. "The Can" has also proved to be a useful weapon.

On last years December hunt I put some doe in heat on a sponge.The next morning there were two does standing right on top of it.On the third day I sat on it and took a 4x5 buck as he worked his way up the ridge to me.

I have had quite a bit of success with the "Wildlife Research Center" scents. Particularly the "Active Scrape", "Trails End #307", and "Doe Estrus". I have also had success with a grunt call. It is hit and miss with a rattle bag, but I have had them run in on occasion. "The Can" has also proved to be a useful weapon.

That's great info! I tried calling last year for the first time ever. I had a client with me in Mexico, overlooking a thick bedding area with very little glassing windows. It was around lunchtime and as we sat eating our burritos I decided I should give it a try. I had just purchased a small "rattle bag" and the small "can" and I really didn't know how to use either the right way. I hit the bag a few times and turned the can over twice and less than a minute later, with a mouthfull of burrito, there was a 97" Coues buck staring at me at the edge of the thick stuff! That buck is now hangin' on my clients wall and is a tribute to my first attempt at calling Coues! I tried it several times after that and have never had the same results......and one time there was a 105" buck laying within earshot and he never came in......but he still died so it at least didn't scare him either ;) JIM>

That's great info! I tried calling last year for the first time ever. I had a client with me in Mexico, overlooking a thick bedding area with very little glassing windows. It was around lunchtime and as we sat eating our burritos I decided I should give it a try. I had just purchased a small "rattle bag" and the small "can" and I really didn't know how to use either the right way. I hit the bag a few times and turned the can over twice and less than a minute later, with a mouthfull of burrito, there was a 97" Coues buck staring at me at the edge of the thick stuff! That buck is now hangin' on my clients wall and is a tribute to my first attempt at calling Coues! I tried it several times after that and have never had the same results......and one time there was a 105" buck laying within earshot and he never came in......but he still died so it at least didn't scare him either ;) JIM>

Maybe it was the burrito. :lol: :lol:

Good Lord blessed me with a clean kill in August and champing at the bit for January... I also accompanied some other CWT / DCA friends for their rifle hunts and brought a hypodermic needle and seringe I got from a veternarian friend of mine.

I drained the bladder of the buck killed by my friend's son shot and froze the urine to dispense from an atomizer bottle during my hunt in January.

I kinda doubt the eastern whitetail piss we buy is very convincing for local coues - just remember to label the container in your freezer very well and expect some flack from your spouse!

Good hunting and Merry Christmas to all!

Kurt

I spot and stalk while I am archery hunting for Coues' and would have to agree on the active scrape scent mentioned above. I used it on a very profound scrape line and then walked within bow range of the line while using a grunt call specially made for Coues' deer and this is what I have been rewarded with this method.

post-1412-1197436155_thumb.jpg

post-1412-1197436712_thumb.jpg

Darn right scents work! And I don't think it matters much what deer it is from. People use there wives hygiene products. I'v seen more than once, a Coues whitetail buck trying to breed mule deer does. There are pictures here on this site of cross breads between mule and Coues deer. I think it is more on how you use it that brings success. Western deer are not as consentrated as eastern deer so it is hit or miss in even the best spots.

Lance

Darn right scents work! And I don't think it matters much what deer it is from. People use there wives hygiene products.

Lance

Bingo! I was wondering how long it would take for someone to provide this info. The pheromones from deer subspecies differ little. -TONY

Do the female hygiene things really work? I've heard of guys using them but never really heard anything more about it!