Sign in to follow this  
Physch

Quartering towards....rifle

Where you aimed and where you hit are 2 different things, I think you just made a bad shot. if you cant remember what firearm you were using how do you expect to remember where you hit it.

if you really hit it where you said even with in 2-3 inchs it would be dead. The shock alone from that caliber at that range with that bullet would have killed it.

trying to blame the shot on bullets or an angle is just an excuse your using to not accept the fact you made a piss poor shot.

everyone makes bad shots, even I did it once in my life ;) I just dont make excuess's for it.

I have killed several animals with neck Shots. I learned that from My Dad. But He was allways shooting close range Eastern Whitetail. Out here I have done them as far as 220 Yards on My AZ. Antelope with an 06.......BOB!

Where you aimed and where you hit are 2 different things, I think you just made a bad shot. if you cant remember what firearm you were using how do you expect to remember where you hit it.

if you really hit it where you said even with in 2-3 inchs it would be dead. The shock alone from that caliber at that range with that bullet would have killed it.

trying to blame the shot on bullets or an angle is just an excuse your using to not accept the fact you made a piss poor shot.

everyone makes bad shots, even I did it once in my life ;) I just dont make excuess's for it.

Why so negative? I think the guy just wanted some opinions on his situation. As a near perfect hunter, I suppose you were entitled to give him yours so you did.

Why so negative? I think the guy just wanted some opinions on his situation. As a near perfect hunter, I suppose you were entitled to give him yours so you did.

delw killed 300 coyotes a year every year in the 80s and 90s using a circe, knows unit 12b better than anyone alive, and he turns down 380-400" bulls when everyone else cant find any.

Maybe you should go back to face book where everything is nice and positive.

watching a grown man make excuess's for a piss poor shot is typical of todays generation. Crap happens who cares. it could have been all said in one post rather than drawing it out to 3-4 posts.

the only part that slightly bothered me is his lack of self awareness as to what firearm he was shooting. the rest he could have gut shot it and let it run off and I could have cared less.

delw killed 300 coyotes a year every year in the 80s and 90s using a circe, knows unit 12b better than anyone alive, and he turns down 380-400" bulls when everyone else cant find any.

No not true on the odd years is was only 250 yotes ;)

• Like 1

Im one of the few people of this generation that doesn't have a Facebook account. This site is my only form of social media. I am far from typical in my generation. Apparently you are too because most guys I know from previous generations would never give a guy a hard time for coming on here and trying to learn what he might have done wrong. I didn't see him making any excuses. This site used to be tons of positive but because of guys like you, lots of guys quit sharing stuff here and now only share it on Facebook, where it stays positive.

• Like 1

i honestly thought the OP was making up this story about a hunter wounding a lion to get our responses for the animal rights activists promoting the lion hunting ban. but im crazy like that.

i honestly thought the OP was making up this story about a hunter wounding a lion to get our responses for the animal rights activists promoting the lion hunting ban. but im crazy like that.

That would be a pretty legit strategy. Turn hunter against hunter. It's working. I'm ready to throw down with Delw...jk I don't take this stuff that serious. I might actually even go to a Peta forum now and make up a story to get them fighting amongst themselves though.
  • Like 1

Sounds like we are all pretty passionate about hunting. I'm pretty thick skinned and appreciate the opinions and support. I felt very confident with the shot. I was sitting on my butt and had three points of contact stabilizing the gun. In the weeks prior I had shot a bear and a coyote with my .270 standing at 90 and 185 yards, respectfully. Both were broadside to me.

I know I didn't react well after the shot with the cat. I felt overconfident with the placement and was blown away/shocked that the cat didn't just drop on the spot. Before mountain lions I've never had an animal run more than 20 yards with a bow or a gun. My first mountain lion this year I shot quartering away with a bow and found the cat ~160 yards from the point of impact.

I don't do well with failure and am trying to figureout what I can learn from this situation to prevent it from happening in the future. Currently, I've decided to pass on the shot if it's presented again. I'll wait for a broadside or a straight on shot.

Naturebob I've had a few people recommend that I should have gone for the neck and I wondered that myself if I should have taken that shot.

I wrote this on the website obviously to get your opinions and hopefully help others if they find themselves with the same shot.

That would be a pretty legit strategy. Turn hunter against hunter. It's working. I'm ready to throw down with Delw...jk I don't take this stuff that serious. I might actually even go to a Peta forum now and make up a story to get them fighting amongst themselves though.

Delw is like a crazy uncle, the guy from napoleon dynamite if you will.

Sounds like we are all pretty passionate about hunting. I'm pretty thick skinned and appreciate the opinions and support. I felt very confident with the shot. I was sitting on my butt and had three points of contact stabilizing the gun. In the weeks prior I had shot a bear and a coyote with my .270 standing at 90 and 185 yards, respectfully. Both were broadside to me.

I know I didn't react well after the shot with the cat. I felt overconfident with the placement and was blown away/shocked that the cat didn't just drop on the spot. Before mountain lions I've never had an animal run more than 20 yards with a bow or a gun. My first mountain lion this year I shot quartering away with a bow and found the cat ~160 yards from the point of impact.

I don't do well with failure and am trying to figureout what I can learn from this situation to prevent it from happening in the future. Currently, I've decided to pass on the shot if it's presented again. I'll wait for a broadside or a straight on shot.

Naturebob I've had a few people recommend that I should have gone for the neck and I wondered that myself if I should have taken that shot.

I wrote this on the website obviously to get your opinions and hopefully help others if they find themselves with the same shot.

Hopefully you are in a multiple bag limit unit since you state you already shot one this year?

As the cat was on the ground I pulled the trigger 2-3 more times on the last pull I realized nothing was coming out. It dawned on me that I had my bolt action gun and had been practicing with a semi auto 223 that week. I pulled the bolt back and that cat immediately stopped and jumped to its feet broadside staring at me (that was truly the creepiest part of the whole ordeal). I pushed the bolt forward and the cat started to run off on three legs. I got one more shot off but think I tried to lead him too far infront for how close he was. I agree with Browns that we should look at incidents like this and try and learn from them, but for the life of me I cannot figureout what I did wrong. That's why I'm posting this. Is this a shot I should have passed on? I was using federal premium Sierra 150 grain gamekings. I searched for this cat for a day and a half with no luck. There was bright red blood at the sight where he was flailing.

I have promised myself that if I shoot something I'm going to eat it and I've heard that they are incredibly tasty.

Thank you, MattMan. Closer to the pink dot?

I'm still calling BS

the red spots on my marked up picture is more than likely where you hit it.. there is no way in 4377 you hit it even close to where you said. if you had it would have taken out a windpipe, throat jugler back shoulder on the pictures left side anyone or all of those. if you hit it where you said on the pink dot that never happened either.

I could have sworn you said as the cat was on the ground.....

this post is BS

post-14908-0-94717900-1512611239.jpg

Hopefully you are in a multiple bag limit unit since you state you already shot one this year?

;)

I didnt think of it that way but now that you mentioned it.... and the wy he posted could be a possibility