Speedy

Vacation ideas for January hunt?

My wife is interested in a warm(er) weather vacation to the SW from the frigid Midwest. We did this a few years ago that allowed me to stay behind and deer hunt so this is an ideal situation for me. We flew into Phoenix last time so we pretty much covered everything around Tuscon that is outdoors/nature related so where else to go for like 5-6 days? Thinking of Sedona or SW New Mexico, or maybe head to Cali? What do you guys recommend that has outdoor activities like day hikes, gardens, nature exhibits or anyplace to spend time outdoors in mid-January w/o a winter coat? She doesn't want to camp so it would have to be near some accommodations like a cabin. I always wanted to check out the Chiricahuas but not sure that's more than a day or so?

Thanks. My wife is coming out at first then I'll be hunting the following week by myself so I don't need to be in the same area the entire time. Although a scouting trip is not out of the question (thus the idea to hike the Chiricahaus).

Thanks. My wife is coming out at first then I'll be hunting the following week by myself so I don't need to be in the same area the entire time. Although a scouting trip is not out of the question (thus the idea to hike the Chiricahaus).

I'd consider the hikes and lodging around Marble Canyon with a boat rental or guided trip on Lees Ferry. Closer to the city of Page is Antelope Canyon and of course, Lake Powell. It's unique.

Comes down to where you want to hunt. Az is full of sfuff. If your thinking chiricahuas I have a pass you can use. Also locally is Bisbee which is worth seeing once and tombstone also worth seeing once. Wilcox has a cowboy museum and you can stop on I10 and see the "thing". Not sure if I misunderstood, are you looking to hunt while your here or just a vacation? you can get an otc deer tag. Also there are a couple lakes if your into fishing.

The Portal area is really cool. Small cabins to rent and the mountains all around. A lot of the residents are star gazers and stay up and look through huge telescopes. Quail hunting at that time also. Huge history in the area as well. Cave Creek is beyond beautiful, Sedona without the people.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. The plan is spend 5-6 days on vacation with my wife, then send her home and go deer/javi hunting the 3rd week of January. I've hunted the Santa Ritas before so I may look to go back there unless I can find a better place more suited to the recurve bow I shoot. Not every area allows one to get within 25 yards of those wary little buggers (basically means ambush blinds).

The Portal area is really cool. Small cabins to rent and the mountains all around. A lot of the residents are star gazers and stay up and look through huge telescopes. Quail hunting at that time also. Huge history in the area as well. Cave Creek is beyond beautiful, Sedona without the people.

Definitely look at the Portal area, especially if you’re interested in the Chiricahuas. It’s not exactly warm in January but warmer than your tundra.

I can set you up on water in the serritas that dent get hunted except by me my family has fill our tags these for years mules and couse use some of the tanks

• Like 2