Sign in to follow this  
Trigger06

No tag soup for me!

Drew a coues deer tag in AZ (unit 34a). Been scouting quite a bit, but hadn't seen any bucks, only does.

I haven't killed a deer before, and this type of hunting didn't inspire confidence. But I got out today and set up on top of a ridge right at sunrise. I was glassing a little ridge and turned up a doe, she led me to 3 more. But then the wind shifted and took my scent right to them. They gone. I decided to relocate to get the wind a little more in my favor. I started glassing a ridge across the canyon and really quickly turned up a pack of javalinas. I just watched them for a while because I've got a javalina tag in February. But as the javalinas moved along the ridge, they made 3 deer start moving. I noticed that one had antlers. It was just a 2x2, but from what I have read here, never pass up on the first day what you would shoot on the last day! So I decided to see if I could get him. I ranged him at 550 meters. To far for me and my AR-10.

I saw that I could close the distance by moving a little farther down the ridge I was on. I picked up my stuff and moved. When I got as close as I could, he was at 460 meters. Still farther than I would like to shoot given the wind. But the group was slowly working their way closer to me. There was a spike, the forked horn, and another that I couldn't tell what it was.

I was getting set up to shoot, but the group kept changing positions and I kept having to get off the rifle and back on my binos to see which was the 2x2. The scope even though it is the same power (15x) as the binos just wasn't as clear. He finally separated himself from the other two. I ranged him at 430m just as he slipped behind a tree.

Right then, the wind died down to nothing. Since he was behind the tree, I took the opportunity to clear some of the grass from right in front of the rifle. I dialed in the range and wind into the ballistics computer on my phone. I had only practiced to 400m with this load, but the computer's dope had been perfect up to there. 3 mils elevation, .3 windage. Dialed that into the scope and waited for him to clear the tree.

He cleared the tree and I held right behind his shoulder. I said a quick prayer that I would either kill or miss him completely. I squeezed the trigger as smoothly as I had ever done it. As soon as the round was down range, I knew it was a good shot. I saw him stagger, walk wobbly 5m and lay down.

Crossing the canyon and getting to him was one heck of a hike. Steepest hillside I've ever been on. It was a great feeling walking up to him and seeing the hit within a couple inches of my aiming point.

Packing him out down the mountain and back to the truck might have been the hardest thing I've ever done physically.

Western deer hunting is fun. :-)

AddqsRkl.jpg

pdce5Iql.jpg

0LwmonFl.jpg

cpsx1Wgl.jpg

• Like 6

Great story, excellent shooting and nice first coues buck. Congrats!

Nice job. I'd also like to know the specs on the AR10. Just got myself a kit in 308 that's going to be my hunting rifle until I can afford to replace my stolen rifle. Congrats on a great first deer.

Great job

Thanks guys! For the guys asking about the rifle, it is a DPMS LR308L, 20in barrel. I've got an SWFA 3-15 FFP scope on it. I also put in a Giselle SSA trigger as well. I've been practicing with the Hornaday precision hunter 178grn. It is a decent load for my rifle. I was getting right at 1 moa @200m. I practiced prone out to 400m. The Hornaday ballistics app gave me all the right dopes out to there. I was confident that it would be accurate to 430 as soon as the wind died.

lRxl53zl.jpg

• Like 1

Good to know. My gun is a dpms clone (thunderguns). I'll be happy if I can get 1 moa at 200. That's pretty darn good. I don't see an exit wound did the bullet lodge inside? Any pics of the interior damage?