Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

3 generations hunt

After working hard from Thursday night til Tuesday morning my son had to get back to work so that left me and pops for the last few days. Here is pops ready to go Tuesday night.

post-10379-0-70101100-1513228719_thumb.jpeg

And here is a pic from a few hours later.

post-10379-0-52179600-1513228764_thumb.jpeg

Dad didn't want any photos after the shot and I didn't ask why, we just went to work and loaded the packs. We were less than a mile from the truck but downhill and in the dark. Pops did amazing at age 72 carrying his pack, his gear, my chair, his gun, and tossed a front quarter over his shoulder. I had more than I should have in my first load and we both were wrecked when we hit the truck. I left pops with the heater on and went back for a front and rear quarter. From the perfect double lung shot to meat in the coolers it was 2.5 hours. Not bad for new guys. It was a tuff hunt all around but we stuck with it and didn't stop. My son didn't get to see a cow elk but did see turkey, mountain lion, several bull elk, one big 6x7 350 plus bull, about 100 deer, and he laughed himself to sleep 2 nights at my dads antics. We started in the dark and finished in the dark every day and talked in the tent until midnight every night. Before he returned to work he was asking when the next hunt was.

• Like 8

Where's the dead kitty??

I'll be honest I had a tag in my pack and the rifle on him and had zero desire to shoot. My first thought was we were in a blind for my dad and son for elk and my second thought was I just want to watch. Hard to explain but it was simple at the moment.

• Like 1

So Tuesday afternoon me and pops said goodbye to my boy and had a nice hot shower to regroup. I had a new spot planned neither of us had seen. We drove a few miles from camp and made the hike in finding good water and a few blinds already built. After puffing smoke to check the wind for 15 minutes and talking we decided together we should make our own blind 100 yards off the water up in the trees. Settling in the wind was really being a turd and i was getting frustrated and praying for a break, after 3 hours the light is fading and I'm switching from hunt mode to dinner mode. Just then I see movement in the trees across from us. I'm in disbelief, Pops can't seem to locate the elk but I have the 12s on them and a cow is in the lead. They swing in perfect for our bad wind and after 10 minutes they pop over the burm of the tank. Pops finally sees them and gets set. He tells me it's a bull and I'm like ???? No it's a cow get set !!!! He looks agin and says oh !!! Ya it's a cow should I shoot !!! Heck yea get on her , I say. I watch him settle in with my fingers in my ears and she turns broadside at 109 yards. Boom, she goes running and pops looks at me says , I missed !! Sorry son, I'm like how the heck did you miss ??? He looks at me and says , well she ran off. I'm like ok , how did you feel on the shot? Were you steady? Calm? Did you settle in where we discussed? Pops says ya I was right on her and squeezed? I'm was so relieved I hugged him and patted his shoulder and said I think your good, they don't always just drop like on tv!!! Haha

We head over for a look and find blood, follow tracks off and blood stops dead, searching in the dark we start to get seriously bummed until I make a wide sweep with the big light and bam, 50 yards from the shot may dads first ever elk on his first ever elk hunt. It's all I dreamed of since we started putting in, my boy has plenty of time to find his elk but I wanted dad to get his shot before he couldn't get around. I also wanted him to be there with me and see why I hunt, thank you for reading and thank you to the world for this time with my dad and my son, dad still can't find the words. I have too many words. I can't wait to cook the first meal for pops with his own elk. Cheers and God bless.

• Like 6

Where's the dead kitty??

I'll be honest I had a tag in my pack and the rifle on him and had zero desire to shoot. My first thought was we were in a blind for my dad and son for elk and my second thought was I just want to watch. Hard to explain but it was simple at the moment.

While I can't agree (Ida killed him) I understand what you're saying. Kind of my sentiment while deer hunting this season. I didn't really have the desire to kill one unless it was BIG.

Sounds like you all had amazing trip!

L.O.L. you and I both have that spitting image of our dad look!

I still have yet to see big cat walking around in daylight hours.. Well 1 years back I now think was jaguar and was only a split second jump across a wash and what seemed to be a black mountain lion 😯

Nice photos and story. That truly is what it is all about. Spending time with family.

Congrats on a great family hunt! Thanks for sharing the story and pics.

Packer....awesome story and nothing better than hunting with people that you love!!!

Looks like good shot placement on a lion quartering towards you :rolleyes: if you pull the trigger!

I am curios for my own identification purposes........lion turd???? Did you watch him drop it??

My initial ID on that pile would have been wolf, but we all know that the wolves haven't made it to 6B and I was always under the impression that Kitty's coverer their pile???

You always put together one heck of a camp meal!!!

Congrats to your pops. To bad your son couldn't seal the deal glad you guys at least one. Was a different year up there for a late cow hunt.

Thanks buddy, so you guys know this dude was shooting pm,s my way every day checking on in on us and throwing us info. I learned some new info and had someone to bounce questions off of.

• Like 1

Packer....awesome story and nothing better than hunting with people that you love!!!

Looks like good shot placement on a lion quartering towards you :rolleyes: if you pull the trigger!

I am curios for my own identification purposes........lion turd???? Did you watch him drop it??

My initial ID on that pile would have been wolf, but we all know that the wolves haven't made it to 6B and I was always under the impression that Kitty's coverer their pile???

Ya what's not in that picture is several other piles and scratch marks in the same spot . Pretty sure this cat is sticking around this area somewhat. Just because I didn't want to shoot him doesn't mean "someone " isn't up there now with dogs. Haha

Ya what's not in that picture is several other piles and scratch marks in the same spot . Pretty sure this cat is sticking around this area somewhat. Just because I didn't want to shoot him doesn't mean "someone " isn't up there now with dogs. Haha

Man I would love just once to have a lion in my crosshairs like that......congrats to your old man and congrats to you for getting both your dad and your son out there for some hunting memories!!!