Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Cold weather RVing

This late elk hunt was my first attempt at cold weather with the camp trailer!

Forecast was for rain/snow and I went prepared I thought for whatever would come!

First few days beautiful weather no issues except my furnace came on in the middle of the night even though I thought it was off!

post-2034-0-28046100-1512534919_thumb.jpeg

It would blow cold air unless I moved the needle to warmer from the off position!

Any ideas on that?

Also last night temperatures dropped considerably freezing all of my extra 10 gallon jugs fairly solid!

Any remedy for that?

Had a very enjoyable hunt with Raghorn! Ended up being a two legged pack mule but enjoyed getting to be out in the woods and gone from work!

post-2034-0-19525200-1512535428_thumb.jpeg

post-2034-0-18911500-1512535509_thumb.jpeg

You have to make sure that the thermostat lever is fully to the left. It's a touchy switch. I had this problem before and that's what fixed it! Also the blower motor will not heat the camper, the heat will only kick on when you advance the lever for more heat. I hope all is well with you and yours! It's a touchy switch.

• Like 1

Last year in 7E we were worried about the cold weather freezing the water tanks on the trailer so we made a skirt out of duct wrap insulation that I bought at work. It worked really well. It helped keep the wind out from under the trailer and the heat of the day and the heat from the trailer kept everything from freezing.

• Like 1

You have to make sure that the thermostat lever is fully to the left. It's a touchy switch. I had this problem before and that's what fixed it! Also the blower motor will not heat the camper, the heat will only kick on when you advance the lever for more heat. I hope all is well with you and yours! It's a touchy switch.

Thanks John, we had a great time and everything went really well, just trying to iron out my rookie bugs. Would replacing that switch make it less touchy? I always hate bothering you with my questions but like a trooper you responded anyway!!! Thanks....

Last year in 7E we were worried about the cold weather freezing the water tanks on the trailer so we made a skirt out of duct wrap insulation that I bought at work. It worked really well. It helped keep the wind out from under the trailer and the heat of the day and the heat from the trailer kept everything from freezing.

That sounds like a great idea....thanks!! I worried about that.....also one thing, I didn't really need my Honda generator on but I decided to give the cord a pull and honestly.....at 20 degrees it didn't do too hot :rolleyes:

Thanks John, we had a great time and everything went really well, just trying to iron out my rookie bugs. Would replacing that switch make it less touchy? I always hate bothering you with my questions but like a trooper you responded anyway!!! Thanks....
Maybe replace the thermostat? I had a similar thermostat on my trailer but it had a separate on/off switch on the bottom. Dont know how much a new thermostat would cost or even if available.
  • Like 2

Maybe replace the thermostat? I had a similar thermostat on my trailer but it had a separate on/off switch on the bottom. Dont know how much a new thermostat would cost or even if available.
You should be able put any kind of thermostat on there you want. You can buy the digital battery powered ones(one triple A i think) from Walmart for like 10-15 bucks. When I had my trailer that's what I put in it.
  • Like 1

The thermostat in mine is touchy also.

I spent the winter of 2010 living in my RV trailer in Bozeman, MT. With temps dipping to -20. Heater would go through 5 gallons of propane every 2 days. Finally had to buy a plug in electric heater. Couldnt afford that much propane. The black water holding tank was a big frozen turd for 6 months. Had to use the RV park facilties. Lol.

A digital thermostat is a good way to go. Just make sure it is compatible with RV voltage. Thermostats for most home HVAC is 24 volts which is using a transformer in the HVAC unit. The spec label on yours should be able to tell you its compatible. Some of the digital thermo's have a switch behind the cover for using gas or electric.

• Like 1

The thermostat in mine is touchy also.

I spent the winter of 2010 living in my RV trailer in Bozeman, MT. With temps dipping to -20. Heater would go through 5 gallons of propane every 2 days. Finally had to buy a plug in electric heater. Couldnt afford that much propane. The black water holding tank was a big frozen turd for 6 months. Had to use the RV park facilties. Lol.

A digital thermostat is a good way to go. Just make sure it is compatible with RV voltage. Thermostats for most home HVAC is 24 volts which is using a transformer in the HVAC unit. The spec label on yours should be able to tell you its compatible. Some of the digital thermo's have a switch behind the cover for using gas or electric.

OK that is just a little too cold!!!

I use a Buddy Heater and a 5 gallon tank adaptor. Saves battery and noise,

Water freezing is always a concern- I like the skirt idea for longer trips otherwise I don't fill up my tanks.

• Like 2

I use a Buddy Heater and a 5 gallon tank adaptor. Saves battery and noise,

Water freezing is always a concern- I like the skirt idea for longer trips otherwise I don't fill up my tanks.

We used the Buddy Heater as well but couldn't get the dang fan to not go off at 2:00am........that Buddy Heater kept the wife toasty!!!!

I put a digital 1 in my toyhauler when it went out. I think the only trick is there is only 1 fan speed for heat when you wire it.