Sign in to follow this  
Huntnm2001

First coues

I left new Mexico headed for Arizona late Friday afternoon. We arrived in camp around midnight and after a short four hours woke up to begin the hike in to the hunting area. Daylight found us hiking up a sign covered ridge to get a vantage point to glass from. After an hour we had turned up a doe and a fawn so we decided to work our way further up the ridge for a little different view. As I was wading through the shoulder high grass and oak brush I spotted a deer slipping across the ridge in front of me. I eased forward hoping for another glimpse and made it to the end of the ridge without another glimpse. I sat down on a rock to contemplate which thicket he had given me the slip in. Just then I caught movement in a header below me and saw a deer walking at 150 yards. I set up my rifle and got behind it while my cousin inspected the deer and confirmed there were two bucks with the front being the largest. I quickly picked up the deer and with the shooting window disappearing I settled on the deer and squeezed the trigger. The deer dropped on the spot and rolled down the hillside. I got him quartered and the meat divided and the packout began. There was a fair amount of slipping tripping and cussing but two hours later we were back at the truck having a celebratory beer. He is not a big buck by any means but he does have some character and a really cool deformation on his left antler. I am happy to have taken him.

post-15439-0-49038900-1512590335_thumb.jpg

post-15439-0-51627200-1512590417_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Be careful. You will end up with a new addiction. Nice first coues. Congrats.

Congrats!