loco4coues

Another Unit 22 Late October Coues Hunt in the books

Ive been trying to find the time to write this up and just havent had the chance. Here is the summary:

New spot on opening day, Dad and Brother tagged out on a double at 518 yards.

Saturday, went into a spot looking for a couple big bucks we had located. It is big, nasty and unforgiving country but we found one of the bucks about 8:00 am. He bedded quickly and my brother and I went over there to find him. We finally got repositioned and set up 2 1/2 hours later, again steep and big canyon country. We spent 5 hours on that ridge and found multiple smaller bucks and does but couldnt turn up the big one. We started the long hike out at 3:00 pm, stopping to glass on the way. As we approached the bottom of a ridge before diving into a big cut, a buck jumped up and topped the opposite ridge line at 70 yards. I made a mad dash to that spot (falling twice- I still have cactus in my hand, haha) and start scanning the ridges in front of me. My brother and I spot the buck at the same time. I kneel down and squeeze one off just as he tops the next ridge. I heard the shot connect and my brother saw the buck turn down hill and crash into some brush. We found him a few yards from there. He was 292 yards in the opposite direction of the rhino. Packed him out in the dark. Not the biggest buck but exciting for sure.

post-2355-0-79934700-1512663427_thumb.jpeg

post-2355-0-61345300-1512663544_thumb.jpeg

post-2355-0-68871900-1512663634_thumb.jpeg

post-2355-0-88133800-1512663699_thumb.jpeg

• Like 16

Nice! Congrats to all on an excellent hunt!

• Like 1

Loco4coues-what .270 rig you shooting and powder for the 150 Berger VLD?

57.8 grains of reloader 22, federal large magnum primers, Nosler brass

Weatherby vanguard series 1