Sign in to follow this  
azbullelkman

Any Sign of Rut Activity for Archery Hunt in Southern Az?

I'm going on Archery Hunt in Unit 29 and wondered if anyone has seen any signs of mule deer rut?

It's been so hot this hear I'm wondering if rut is going to kick in Late?

I'm hoping this cooler weather will get them going!!

Saw some rutting activity this past weekend will be headed up next week to chase some deer. Area I'm in is further north than 29 though. they should really get going soon I would think

The local group of does near my house has gone all year without having any bucks with them, but last week a 3 year old three point showed up with them and as of last night he is still with them. He gives a faint attempt to sniff one of them every now and again but they're still a couple weeks away from rutting. I've seen three year old bucks with a couple of the other groups of does in the area that didn't have anything bigger than a two point with them all year also. It'll be closer to Christmas before the mature bucks show up and take control of the does. This is all very close to unit 29. BTW, the rut happens the same time here every year no matter how hot it is. Hot weather doesn't delay a doe's estrous cycle in My opinion. Be here the day after Xmas and the rut will be in full swing whether it's 20 degrees out or 80.

• Like 1

None in my areas, but the weather doesn't have any effect on the rut at all, just the amount of activity throughout the day. The photo period will have the greatest effect on it. Whether its warm or freezing, the mule deer seem to get going in my areas always around the same time, year after year.

100% correct. Never seen the weather have a major effect on when the rut happens, the photoperiod is the single most important factor. I was out yesterday and saw a nice 4x4 rolling solo, and also saw a group of does with no bucks less than 1/4 mile away. Should be a couple more weeks before things get going

• Like 1

Next full moon not until 1st week of Jan I believe. I think the first week of Jan should be a good one. Just looked Jan 1st full moon.

• Like 1

Make sure you don't archery hunt until January 1st, then pull out on January 16th.... That unit is closed for December.

Wondering why unit 29 is the only southern Az. unit with no December Archery deer hunt and the only unit

that runs through Jan 15 as opposed to Jan 31st ?

According to the game warden I spoke with a couple years ago too many deer were being harvested in december and January so they cut out the hunts

Glassed a tall fairly heavy 4 pt mule deer in unit 1 while on a late bull hunt for an entire morning, he was alone.