Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

Sonora Fishing 12-10

I just re-read this thread after the suggestions on the Puerto Penasco Panga thread. Need to recruit someone to go with me one of these days.

So do you guys rent a local's place to sleep? What about camping?

there are a few places available for rent and two hotels. one has rooms with kitchens but no water. the other has water but no kitchens. there are two very small, very expensive stores in town but no restaurants.

• Like 1

Looks like fun I miss ocean fishing. I have my own tackle and would like to tag along if you guys need another gringo to round out a trip. Not interested in driving my own vehicle though.

PRDATR, Check out Tom Alber's page online. Looks like he provides travel to and from Chandler, lodging, breakfasts and dinners, and fishing for up to 4 days for $500. Not a bad deal compared to everything out of San Diego. Heck, hard to get on a 2 day for that now. Never done it so have no experience or knowledge other than what's online.

I'm aware of one hotel that's operating, but I wouldn't choose to stay there. I suppose you could "post up" in a dirt lot like Trophy Hunter did, but I'd want to know who owned the lot and maybe talk to them first. Would hate to have to move camp in the middle of the night.

There's another building that was going to provide lodging for the Sinaloan pangueras who came seasonally to Lobos, but plans changed after most of the Sinaloans stopped coming. Before that, the Sinaloans were ruining the place as they had no adequate housing or toilet facilities. The beach was their toilet and the tide was their sewer system. They were getting on nerves in Lobos and in Desemboque too until the local strongman up there finally had enough of them and had some locals pour gasoline on a couple of their boats and set them on fire. The Sinaloans got the message and haven't been coming for a couple of years. Fishing got a little better, and the beach got a little cleaner.

At any rate, the second "hotel" had been intended to accommodate the now-departed Sinaloans. I heard there were plans to turn the building into an ice house, but I never saw much progress. I haven't been there in a while so don't know what's happened lately.

There are indeed two stores, and one of them serves lunch. Last time I was there the lady in the back cooked me up some shrimp with garlic and butter with a side of rice, and it was outstanding, not to mention cheap. The menu is pretty limited, but I'll go there again next time I'm down.

You can camp on the beach just north of town. There are some palapas there. I never see anyone camping there, although I know people who have. It's a public beach and gets daytime visitors, people driving over from Caborca I believe, so I'd be a little nervous about going out in a boat for several hours with valuables left at camp.

I only know of a couple of houses to rent, but I hear that's going to improve soon. On the other hand, you hear a lot of things are going to happen soon in Mexico, and then they don't. If you have an RV you aren't afraid of getting stuck, that will work too, but there's no RV park.

If a more high-end trip is to your liking, you can arrange a guided trip with Tom Albers. Google "fishing Puerto Lobos" and you should find his web site. He'll take you down from Phoenix on a Thursday morning, fish Thursday afternoon to Sunday weather permitting and bring you back on Monday. You stay in his house and he feeds you the whole time. Last I knew he charged $450 per person for the whole trip. You can put together a group, or he will.

You can also rent a nice beach home in Santo Tomas and drive 40 minutes to Lobos each morning. Not much to do in Santo Tomas, but it beats driving down from Rocky Point. There are also a couple of Americans who guide out of Santo Tomas.

Final tip: the locals in Lobos advise us to stay out of Desemboque. There is other economic activity in the area that doesn't involve ocean products, and most of the pistoleros are holed up in Desemboque.

OK, while I was typing I wasn't seeing Heat's post. Looks like he's already discovered Tom Albers and that Tom has bumped up his rate a little.

I'm aware of one hotel that's operating, but I wouldn't choose to stay there. I suppose you could "post up" in a dirt lot like Trophy Hunter did, but I'd want to know who owned the lot and maybe talk to them first. Would hate to have to move camp in the middle of the night.

a dude pulled up in the middle of the night, thought maybe it was el mencho. but we talked to him in the morning he didnt care.

Audsley provided some good info. I am sure Arturo Jr (Luis) could set you up with a place to stay or a place to camp.

I have stayed at the green and orange hotel twice and it was fine. hot water and AC. Just make sure to bring your own bedding!!! \"/

If you do not have your own boat you can also hire Arturo Jr to take you out. He has a 28 foot panga and will get you on fish.

Last spring a family from Showlow pulled their tent trailer down there, camped on a lot behind Arturo's house and hired Arturo Jr to take them out two days. They had a blast

All great info guys! Thanks a ton. I would love to check this place out! I have 15, 25, and 40 lb live bait rigs ready to get after it! Just need to find the right time and someone to travel with that speaks better Spanish than me. I do OK living near "La Frontera" my whole life but a fluent speaker can go a long ways in a bind.

FYI - we use mostly lures in Lobos. I am unaware of any fisherman down there having any success in consistently locating, catching and using live bait