Hammerdown

Mexico deer tags

Hopefully I can help to answer some of the questions that people have.

I have hunted this ranch the last two years with friends. The first year we killed a 111 and a 107.

post-2785-0-89672800-1513846053_thumb.jpeg
Last year the biggest killed was 113. I personally missed a buck that was 115 at least. We passed up a couple different bucks between 100 and 105-110. Most of them were seen early in the week and passing on them was a mistake.

The ranch is about 60 miles east of Magdalena De Kino. There is a mountain range there that that runs north and south from Magdalena to Imuris. Ranch is located on the East side of the mountain. Part of the ranch is flatter/rolling hills full of ocotillo and yellow grass. Other part of the ranch runs all the way to the top of the mountain with lots of oaks.

The first year there were acorn everywhere and tons of deer in the oaks. It was also a drier year.

Last year there was water in ever cut in the mountains. The acorns were not as abundant as the year before. There deer were a little more spread out but we did see bigger bucks and more than one big buck was missed.

The cowboys will go with you and make sure you stay safe on the ranch. They also make sure you don't go on the neighboring ranches, since that can cause trouble with the ranch owners. Other than that they will help you retrieve the deer if you want them to.

I'm almost positive that if you ride down with Chad, they will bring you home also, unless you really do something to piss someone off in MX. In that case you may get left there. (who asks that kind of question?)

Gun permits can no longer be done, so you would have to shoot one of the gun that are going down with the other guys. I can tell you that Chad's gun is a long range killing machine.

The dates for the hunt are January 13th-21st. Depending on the border crossing and checking guns, half a day of hunting on the 13th is possible.

The deer in my avatar was taken off of this ranch in 2016

Last year the biggest killed was 113. I personally missed a buck that was 115 at least. We passed up a couple different bucks between 100 and 105-110. Most of them were seen early in the week and passing on them was a mistake.

post-2785-0-32956000-1513846278_thumb.jpeg

Sorry for the crappy pictures but these are some of the bucks that we saw last year. I had to screen shot the images from video on my phone, so the quality isn't the greatest.

post-2785-0-90201100-1513878941_thumb.pngpost-2785-0-02129200-1513878956_thumb.pngpost-2785-0-86430300-1513878969_thumb.pngpost-2785-0-61104800-1513878986_thumb.pngpost-2785-0-13848000-1513879003_thumb.pngpost-2785-0-95113600-1513879017_thumb.png

• Like 3

I'd be content with a 90" buck after hunting Sonora twice in the past and coming up empty the first time and a 70's buck the other time. Still, I really like going there.

Both times I went 150 miles plus and it took an overnight once I crossed the border in the morning when it opened up so to anyone contemplating going on short notice I say you should seriously consider this.

• Like 1

Quote " Gun Permits can no longer be done"

Briant I don't know why you said that....but next time someone needs a Gun Permit for Sonora and/or Chihuahua let me know, I can help you with that. You have plenty of time to get Gun Permits for the dates mentioned above.

Thanks.

Ernesto C.

Thanks for helping me with that Brian we're just looking for a couple guys that want to go down and hunt hard and have a fun time I've seen video and pictures of bucks that Brian and and his buddies have passed and missed I think most people would be happy with

ttt I added some pictures of a couple of bucks we saw last year. All these deer were passed up, so they are still on the ranch, assuming they havent been killed by lions or a bear.

Non-guided.....how do the hunters get around the ranch?

Truck and hiking. The first year that I went down, we used horses as well. Not sure how many horses they currently have on the ranch though. Cowboys will go with you, but they are by no means guides. They know where the deer are, but cant tell you what they score or anything like that.

• Like 1

Yes ATV and or side by side is fine to bring on the ranch. Roads aren't too bad but I can think of one spot that was way easier to access in something smaller than a full size truck.

Truck and hiking. The first year that I went down, we used horses as well. Not sure how many horses they currently have on the ranch though. Cowboys will go with you, but they are by no means guides. They know where the deer are, but cant tell you what they score or anything like that.

Their truck I'm assuming?

Those are great bucks... I love the light skinned dark horned 4×3. He is a stud. Those eye guards are straight out weapons.