Sign in to follow this  
HNTNGUY

Decoy thoughts

So Im contemplating the idea of buying a collapsible decoy for deer and possibly elk. My question is what kind of luck have you had with them? I have an older cardboard decoy that is a pain in the butt to use and has pretty much stayed at camp while I am out hunting. Thought I would get input before I make the $75-$100 plunge for one.

In what scenario do you plan to use it?

Strictly for archery. It seems as though a lot of times a bull or buck gets hung up because they aren’t sure of the situation because they don’t know what it is. Watching videos it seems as though they are less hesitant to come in with a decoy present.

Guest akaspecials

I'm not a fan of decoys unless you have some way to attach it to your bow or a buddy to be in charge of it. I hunt alone most of the time and have never been able to work a decoy, a call, and my bow at the same time.

I've had wind blow them over, I've tripped over them, and I've been stuck behind them with the animal totally focused on me while I was unable to move. On most occasions though, they never even left my backpack because the animal would see/hear me setting them up.

Get them and experiment for yourself. I believe that they can be an effective tool, but they are not for me.

Edit: I used Montana decoys if that's any help. They look great, but are a PITA to use!

I would be tempted to use one. I know with elk they can pretty much pinpoint where a call came from. They get to a point where they can see and try to get visual confirmation, hence they hang up. If you were trying to call a bull across a canyon, popping a decoy out from behind a brush every now and then might be the ticket. Hunting solo I usually look for a place about 50 yards towards the elk, that is where I am going to set up but I bugle where I am and haul to the set up point. That way they will either come by me or when they hang up they will be in bow range.

As far as deer I think a deer decoy would only be beneficial during the rut. I would just use a elk or even a cow decoy deer hunting and try to make them think I am another animal.

That's my .02 cents worth.

There is a decoy that attaches to your bow. I havent used one but it might help. When you get to archery range it is very hard to fool them.

Ultimate predator decoy mounts to your bow and I've had great luck with it. If it is windy I will act like a sail boat.

Had an archery elk hunt this year and used the butt head 3d cow decoy. That thing flat out works.

I tried a blow-up one a few years ago. Scared away 3 deer in one weekend. It went back to cabelas after that. I've thought about giving it a second try, just putting the deer in a bedded position instead of standing, but haven't gotten around to it yet. A stationary deer that doesn't move it's head, tail or ears seems to be alarming to them in my very limited experience. Note though mine was scaring away coues deer, no idea how a muley will respond.

I'm convinced that decoys helped me kill my elk this year. Definitely needs to be someone else holding it as aka described perfectly. The bull I got practically stepped on the guy holding it and his back was to the bull!

I know it helped get some bulls to commit on my last 2 hunts. Cows too! Using it solo is a challenge, I made mine so I could strap it to a sapling 30 yards behind me. Just another tool in the box.