Sign in to follow this  
turbo

Any handgunning plans?

Just curious? Where are the handgunners in Arizona? most recent post is a bit old.

My rifle tag went unused, as I arrowed a coues in Aug. Planned on taking out a .44 Super Blackhawk, and thought about the early December hunt I did not go on.

I think I will be using a pistol if January and August do not yield a deer opportunity on a size I want to release an arrow on.

I'm going to be using my new Savage Striker 6.5 creedmoor on some pigs in February. I might use it on a Coues next year if I can get close enough. This gun is crazy accurate with the factory Hornady 143 ELDX bullets.

post-1205-0-43292000-1513740873_thumb.jpg

post-1205-0-44321400-1513740939_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I'm going to be using my new Savage Striker 6.5 creedmoor on some pigs in February. I might use it on a Coues next year if I can get close enough. This gun is crazy accurate with the factory Hornady 143 ELDX bullets.

buddy if you don’t I will ;) I’ve never hunted deer with a hand gun but I’ve kill several javelina with handguns

Yes, but I'm probably going to put a rifle scope on it soon so I can dial for long range shots. I just wish someone made a long eye relief dialable pistol scope.

• Like 1

Yes, but I'm probably going to put a rifle scope on it soon so I can dial for long range shots. I just wish someone made a long eye relief dialable pistol scope.

Why not just buy a Leupold pistol scope and send it in to add turrets?

• Like 1

While I don’t hunt deer with a pistol last year I harvested a javelina on my second tag hunt with a Ruger Blackhawk 45LC. This year I will be after them with my Ruger Blackhawk 44-40. What a hoot.

• Like 1

Hey, that Striker looks familiar (told you it would shoot). You can buy a leupold and send it to them to have turrets installed but your max power will be 8, you will also have to replace your scope base as the ring spacing you have now is too long for luppy. I did manage to take a small muley this year with one of my XP's and will be using a bolt pistol or revolver for the my pig hunt.

post-1838-0-19456000-1513867686_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Glad to see people are using the handguns. I knew there had to be more people out there with them than this forum suggested. For larger bucks, I have wondered as they stayed out range of my bow, about a pistol. Right now, I am close to increasing my hunting range by a factor of 2 with my .44 pistol.

Those savages are unbelievably accurate. I have one of the 1st production runs of the 243 striker. tons of p-dogs with it out to 300 yards, yotes are kinda tough but I did manage to get one. also nailed a unit 12b mulie at 30 yards, through a javilina over the cliff by hitting a rock and launching it into the side of it, a texas dall ram around 100 yards with it back in the early 2000's , then put it away and havent shot it yet since.

I run the old GTD( Glass Tapered dot) tasco pistol scopes on it. I have them in 2 4 and 6 power. I generally run a 2x. I have found it better for all around hunting unless long range stuff then I use the 6x. but using a 6x at under 100 yards is tough on a psitol.

I like that bipod idea I may have to try that, i usually use a tree, rock with a jacket or the side of my leg as a rest

you used to be able to find the Tasco GPDs on ebay and at gun shows as they discontinued them in early 2000's. they are probably the most easy to and clearest pistol scopes I have ever used, easy meaning they get on target quick and are super clear and bright. they hold up to 45-70 recoil all day long on my old contenders. never had one go bad.

I have a few 4x leupolds and one burris I dont like them due to clarity. one of my leupold broke a reticle on a 30-30 super 14

I was into the old contender scene until they started making the savages.

My first Contender had a 1.5X Thompson scope and that was perfect. My last one had a 2x7 which I didn't care for as much.