Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

Lets talk Prime Rib Cooking

Smoked prime rib is awesome, but if you want to make it in the oven this is the best procedure. Note - searing is done at the end, not the beginning. Really there is no such thing as sealing in the juicies, it's a myth. Actually the opposite happens. Dry aging if you have time make a difference too. I just use salt, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary for the rub.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/dry-aged-standing-rib-roast-with-sage-jus-recipe-1939502

Also this is the best $71 (on sale) you will ever spend. It's accurate and fast which most (all) cheapo thermometers are not. Nothing like overcooking at $50 roast to find that out. Absolutely essential for wild game.

http://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen?gclid=CjwKCAiA1O3RBRBHEiwAq5fD_CbsonphWU21YS88SuZMmiFQjYWm9OMEr5A0WeYGQ7R2Tc9VvnM75BoC9jEQAvD_BwE

.7dgF is pretty good accuracy over such a wide range.

I made one last year on my Traeger, it was absolutely delicious. I followed a recipe on the traeger website. It is a great time of year to buy a 20 lb hunk of meat and turn half into a prime rib and the other half into thick Ribeyes.

post-11914-0-73312600-1513895051_thumb.jpeg

post-11914-0-25636900-1513895073_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Going to get a new York strip roust to put in the freezer. $4.77 at safe way smoke that yumm

Going to get a new York strip roust to put in the freezer. $4.77 at safe way smoke that yumm

I saw that Im temped

What is the biggest prime rib roast any of you have cooked in the oven. I have a 16 pounder for Christmas but not sure if I can do the entire roast.

What is the biggest prime rib roast any of you have cooked in the oven. I have a 16 pounder for Christmas but not sure if I can do the entire roast.

Hey Orlin, if it fits in your oven, it will cook fine.

Depending on whether your oven is convection (has a fan that circulates the hot air as it cooks) dictates the cooking time per pound.

Give me a call if you have any pending issues.

Did the 500 @ 5 mins per pound, then 275 for approximately two hours afterward (until meat thermometer hit 130). Did an 8lb rib in and 9lb boneless at the same time this way. They both came out perfectly medium rare in the middle and more medium on the outer couple cuts.

Did the 500 @ 5 mins per pound, then 275 for approximately two hours afterward (until meat thermometer hit 130). Did an 8lb rib in and 9lb boneless at the same time this way. They both came out perfectly medium rare in the middle and more medium on the outer couple cuts.

This is what I am leaning toward since my open doesn't seal very well, but I am going to smoke it for about 30 minutes first and used Chefs rub putting it on last night. Only I added some red pepper flakes and since thins is a 6# bone in I am going to put some rosemary sprigs between the meat and the bone.

Also making some blackeyed peas for my son and I.