Jazz

Kifaru questions

Im sure a ton of you guys have one of these packs, and I see them reviewed highly- everywhere.

I'm looking into it. I have a Team Elk- and I LOVE The pack, but I'm 6'5" and it just doesn't fit like it should. Thinking about upgrading.

So the Kifaru packs- they have a base frame- and then you mix whatever bag you want with them? I'm thinking about getting the Reckoning but the system is close to twice the price of a Team Elk. They also have the option of this gun carry forward system on the hips. Looks good.

Are they worth it?

No doubt about it. You are talking about a pack made in the Denver area by Americans who hunt. Customer support is outstanding. Not some piece of crap made in China with a big price tag. I have bought 3, sold one (Express) to get the bigger version (Late Season). The Late Season has an internal frame and weighs right around 4 lbs, can carry all my crap for the day I could need and still comfortably able to pack an elk hindquarter out. I also have a Duplex frame with a Cargo Panel for the heavy hauling or unusually shaped loads. This gives me infinite options.

• Like 1

Jazz- I highly recommend you actually call Kifaru and talk to them directly. I own and have owned several of their frames and bags. All are outstanding quality. They offer different size stay options 22", 24" and 26". I have seen guys who are abnormally long in the torso get 28" stays made for them specifically. This is a big deal because it will greatly affect how heavy weight carries on the pack. If you do not have enough load lift, the weight will be on your shoulders. I own the reckoning bag and it is a pretty slick layout. I do not think you will be disappointed with your purchase. Buy once, cry once is what I would usually say, but after you buy once, you will probably end up like me and buy multiple different bags just because. haha

• Like 1

Talk to OZP31. I just switched this year to a Kifaru. Went with woodsman pack. Talk about versatile. Tim knows alot about the kifaru products.

I run the very system you are talking about. Reckoning on the large frame with a medium belt and the gun bearer. By far the best of anything I have ever used. Definitely give the gun bearer a try. I have carried my rifle in a regular shoulder sling for years. As most of us know, it can be a pain with a big heavy rifle over long distances. The gun bearer is awesome! It makes the weight of the rifle and the constant rubbing on my neck disappear. I thought the forward carry would bother me and get in the way. I have not found that to be the case at all.

I have the older 26in bikini frame with the woodsman with a spotter pocket on one side and two med belt pouches on the other, med belt pouches on each hip. Ive had the nomad and a tahr in the past with great success. I packed my aug buck out a good ways with a full load and a ground blind all in one trip. Luckily my late archery bull died in an area I could drive right up to him. The last few years I hauled several animals including back pack trips with the family where Dad is the mule. I think its worth it. I like the gun bearer also but with a nice rifle I put the solo hunter rifle cover over it then put it in the gun bearer.

I liked my team elk too, but loaded with a bull hind quarter . No thanks. It never fit me that well either even at 58

Ive got the older duplex frame with timberline 2 bag and guide lid that my dad uses and I bought a new hunting frame and reckoning bag with guide lid for myself. I use the gun bearer to strap my rifle to the outside of my pack with the 3 side compression straps for the hike in. With your height I would recommend calling frank or Aron and discussing the appropriate stay length as well. Good luck!

• Like 1

Color me convinced.

I'll take the plunge next month. Looking forward to an upgrade. Thanks guys.

Check Rokslide . You can save your self a lot of coin. Even if you buy a special order frame from them directly. You can always find bags and accessories on there.

I've been using the Kifaru packs since they started selling them in 1997 and that's all I use. I absolutely love their packs! My sons, who were just little kids back then are now using them, as well as all of their friends. I'm 6'4" and have an older Duplex frame with the new Fulcrum bag and love this setup! Even at my age I can still pack over 80 lbs. for miles using this setup. I highly recommend them!!!

Scott

• Like 2

I went from a Eberlestock Just One pack to the Kifaru Hunter frame with the Nomad II and a camp bag. I made the right choice. It is amazing what a good pack will do for transferring the weight of the pack to your legs instead of your back/shoulders. I do use the gun bearer and like that as well. Kifaru is coming out with a rifle scabbard, but after using the gun bearer, I won't waste my money. I really like the gun bearer. It is light weight and my rifle is much more easily accessible when I use the gunbearer at my hip belt. When packing into or out of camp, you can move the gun bearer to the PALS at the rear of the pack/frame if you want, but I don't find it necessary.