Sign in to follow this  
J-Klee

American Ruger Compact Chambered in 7-08

I am looking at getting my 10 yr old an American Ruger Compact 7-08. Are there any Easy Valley members with this rifle that would be willing to let me fire a half dozen rounds - before I make this purchase?

sorry I am not in the east valley but my daughter has one and it is great. very accurate for an out of the box rifle using factory ammo. 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. we are using the Hornady Reduced Recoil ammo with 120 grain bullet for deer. after determining that it was an accurate rifle I had a break installed on it. it is very light and fits my 12 year old girl very well. she is average to below average in size. the only thing I was surprised about is that it has a plastic magazine. not a deal breaker but I thought it would have been metal. also the trigger is pretty stiff and from the research I have done it does not appear there is anyway to adjust it. there are lots of 7-08 factory ammo choices available and that is one of the main reasons I got it. We can move up in bullet grains and use this gun for elk when she gets drawn. There are lots of guys on forums pushing the 6.5 creedmor for youth but I have been very pleased with my decision to get this rifle for my daughter.

Member big orange has the 6.5 for his daughter and his buddy has the 7-08. Says both are awesome. How i am doing it in my house is starting the kids on a 243 with a break \ silencer until they are comfortable then bump them to the 6.5 or 7-08 as there all around gun once they can carry around a little bigger rifle without banging it all up. I would not hesitate at all on the purchase other then the recoil for a young kid.

• Like 1

My Marlin X7Y in 7-08 has very light recoil. My 10 yo will shoot it this fall.

Member big orange has the 6.5 for his daughter and his buddy has the 7-08. Says both are awesome. How i am doing it in my house is starting the kids on a 243 with a break \ silencer until they are comfortable then bump them to the 6.5 or 7-08 as there all around gun once they can carry around a little bigger rifle without banging it all up. I would not hesitate at all on the purchase other then the recoil for a young kid.

Yeah Sundevil was one I talked to a lot about 7-08 before buying my daughters rifle. If hers had come in 7-08 I probably would have gone that route. Prethreaded for break at that price point was hard to pass up.

Got my daughter a Savage Axis 7-08 when she was 9, figuring on it being a starter rifle in case she didn't want to stick with it. She was tiny then, so I had a brake installed before she ever shot it. We got her started with the same Hornady reduced recoil 120s. She loved it. I developed hand loads with the 140gr TTSX and she loved it even more. With the brake, you can barely tell. Feels like an AR to me (and her). I was looking at the Ruger American Compact in 7-08 for my son, after learning some lessons about the original Axis line (no Accutrigger). It was very light and he could handle it well, but I ended up getting him the Savage 111 Compact in 7-08, again having a brake installed. Did the same, starting out with Hornady reduced recoil loads, and then loaded up 140 TTSXs. He loves it and is solid with it. He's a skinny little turd, too. You know the kind that has to dance around in the shower to get wet. I like the Savage over the Ruger American because its a little beefier and has a 20" barrel instead of the 18", but I don't think you'll be disappointed at all with the Ruger American!

If you're up in Flagstaff, I have three different compact/youth 7-08s you can try. Two are braked and the Weatherby youth that my daughter was given by NWTF is not braked. Told her she had to learn to shoot without one now. She loves it, too!

• Like 1